The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. whitrzac

whitrzac The orange end is cold...

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Will the IPS from the m6600 fit? IRRC I need the lid/bezel/etc too...

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, the lid/bezel is thicker for IPS displays. However, the touchscreen uses the same thick lid so if you could get your hands on that part, that would be a start.

Also the display connector is not the same, you need two display cables with an interposer board in between the display and the motherboard. It uses a different connector on the motherboard as well (eDP I think), I wonder if that is present in the M6800 since they're not shipping it with IPS...

3. whitrzac

Reputations:
    I feel really dumb...

The system came with 8gb 1600mhz DDR3.

I tried putting in my gskill 16gb 1066ddr3 and the system doesn't boot....

I tryed the slots under the keyboard, removing the 8gb 1600, etc. nothing...

WTH is going on???

4. notepek

notepek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You mean that's 1066MHz memory? Is that 1.5V DDR or 1.35v DDRL, as the M6800 requires the latter.

Did it give you an error code in the form of disc, battery and wireless leds (that is, which ones were on, off or blinking)?

5. whitrzac

Reputations:
    Batt light blinking...

Your joking about the 1.5 vs 1.35v DDR3, right? the low voltage stuff was suppose to be a joke... And it was supose to be compatible with eachother...

My memory is 1.5v

6. notepek

notepek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No I'm not joking, that's what the Haswell CPUs require. See for example this product page for the 4800MQ: ARK | Intel® Core

So officially Intel only supports DDR3L-1333 and 1600 but apparently Dell has worked with Intel to enable 1866MHz too. Which is what I'm having problems with as my Crucial 1866MHz DDR3L doesn't work even if it should...

If the blinking battery light is all you have that signals error "Memory failed to initialize or memory is unsupported" according to the manual. Which was useful information for me as at least in that case the laptop is then able to tell the mem isn't supported. In my case it signals that "The memory modules are detected but has encountered an error".

7. whitrzac

Reputations:
    Should the system have a COA sticker under the battery?

8. whitrzac

Reputations:
    I'm having a small issue...

When I instal a known good intel 4965agn card in the WWAN spot, it doesn't show up in windows...

I used this exact config with my m6600 without issue.

9. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Is there a BIOS setting for mSATA vs. WLAN modes?

10. whitrzac

Reputations:
    Not that I saw.
    My 2 intel 4965agn cards don't show at all(one dell OEM, on intel OEM)

My 2 intel 6200agn(1 dell OEM, 1 intel OEM) cards both show up, but when I try to install drivers I get a BSOD (bad pool caller). Or the intel 7260 stops working and only the 6200agn works.