The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Chiimaero

Chiimaero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Turns out you're right. Seems the tool needs to "ping" the card from time to time.
    Also, Optimus seems to completely turn the card power off when not in use. So really no point in removing the card form the PC, as long as the tech works as expected for your usage.

Very impressive piece of tech indeed.

2. viperbeans

viperbeans Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received a 7510 with a 6820HQ that had coil whine and I also had a latitude with the same CPU with coil whine.. Likely a coincidence

I returned my 7510 and re ordered another one and opted for a Xeon E3-1505M and the IPS Touch screen so hopefully it doesn't exhibit coil whine

Has anyone got one equipped with the touch screen, if so how is it?

3. Chiimaero

Reputations:
    Well, coil whine comes from coils, which are used in the power regulation circuitry of an electronic part. That's why it most often comes from the PSU/motherboard/graphic card, because that's where this circuitry is. Note that other components do have power regulation as well, but the power requirement of a SSD for example makes it less likely to exhibit coil whine.
    To this date, I've seen no mention of coil whine from a CPU. It may be possible (haswell CPUs have on die power regulator after all). But that's not the case with skylake CPUs anymore. So, yeah, I still think the 6820HQ is not the culprit.

Fun-fact : http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dont-buy-a-touch-screen-laptop
    If we assume they are not biased, you'll see a touch screen sucks (a lot) more power, for whatever reason. Which implies it will be more prone to generate coil whine ;)

Anyway, I do really hope your new laptop comes with no coil whine, a good screen, and no other potential small defects. What matters is that you end up with a laptop that is up to your expectations.

4. viperbeans

Reputations:
    You are correct.. this was mentioned earlier in the thread thus why it's just a coincidence.. if I get coil whine I'll just get Dell to replace the motherboard or whatever is the culprit.

Haha that is unlikely as the article does seem bias, I'm sure the non touch 4K display would be just as power hungry..

Thanks, hopefully the replacement arrives trouble free, after all these are expensive machines. Alienwares feel cheap in comparison haha

Chiimaero likes this.
  5. viperbeans

Reputations:
    For those who might be interested;

7470 Ultrabook vs 75010 Workstation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    To anyone with an NVIDIA GPU and 1080p display, would you mind checking to see if you can reproduce the auto-contrast on battery issue? It is an easy check but requires graphics switching to be disabled in the BIOS.

I am preparing a case with Dell and it would be helpful to know if there are systems out there that do not exhibit this problem.
    Thanks.

7. Chiimaero

Reputations:
    Well. Just ran the basic tests. And I can confirm I do have this "issue".
    Why the quotes ? On my PC the effect is very subtle, contrast does change but the effect reminds me of some modern UIs using flat design, when transistionning from the normal color of an element (say a button) to the "mouse over" color.
    Also, this most likely is a feature in place to lower battery usage.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know why/when/how this effect is activated. Good luck !

8. epsilon72

epsilon72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the firepro also have this problem?

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks for checking. If it is a "feature" to save power, that's awesome, as long as I can turn it off. Hopefully Dell can reproduce the issue easily.

I have Dell looking into it. They are going to try to reproduce tomorrow, and if successful, it goes to the engineering team. If it turns out to be an NVIDIA driver issue (probable), they will inform NVIDIA but can't do much else. I'll run with it as far as I can.

No, NVIDIA only.

farrenyoung likes this.
  10. augustus108

augustus108 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Need some clarification with the HDD for this laptop.
    You can only have one M2 PCIe and one Sata? And not two M2 PCIe?