The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Chiimaero

Chiimaero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ygohome likes this.
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There is an interposer available from Dell that will allow you to mount a second M2 PCIe drive in the SATA drive bay. It will be attached via PCIe and not SATA so you should get good speeds. (The SATA connector has extra pins/connections on it to make this possible.) If you did not purchase two PCIe drives with your system, you will probably need to call the spare parts department in order to purchase the interposer. 877-372-3355 in the U.S.

But yes... Only two drives in this laptop.

[Edit]
    Thanks to page break I did not see that Chiimaero had already replied :p

3. farrenyoung

farrenyoung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone share their experience with putting an m.2, like a Samsung 950 pro, in the sata port with the interposer. I'm particularly interested in the speeds you were able to achieve. I imagine it's not as fast as in the actual m.2 slot, but I'm wondering how much faster it would be than a standard SATA drive like a Samsung 850 pro.

4. viperbeans

viperbeans Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So so received a new 7510 with a Xeon and it has coil whine yet again :(

Not as bad as previously i.e: literally need to put your ear close to the laptop to hear it but it's definitely there.

Do you guys think I should just leave it as is or request the motherboard be replaced?

5. designrama

designrama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Photoshop CS6 display problem.

My M7510 with Fire Pro W5170m is having a major display issue with Photoshop CS6. Sometimes, the image would break into tile like pieces when zoom in. This is just display affects only, the actual file is in one piece. It seems like an OpenCL problem, but turning on and off the CS6's Graphic Processor Settings doesn't make any difference. Dell is point the finger at CS6, saying there are reports of CS6 is not working well with Windows 8 and 10, even though my tower workstation with same version of OS and CS6 is working without issues.

Any ideal what is going on here?

[​IMG]

6. Chiimaero

Reputations:
    Well no one can really help you in this matter. What you can do is make sure the coil while is still very low under heavy cpu/gpu load. If it's always low enough you must be very close to even notice it I'd say you can live with it. If it gets louder under different cpu/gpu loads... You can give it a last try with a new motherboard.

viperbeans likes this.
  7. Chiimaero

Reputations:
    Looks definitively like a video driver issue.
    Check what gpu is being used. If it's the Intel, try forcing the use of the amd.
    I experienced similar issues with pretty much all pc when using the igpu. But only from time to time.

So if the igpu is the pb, use the amd. If the amd is the pb, use the igpu and this would be further evidence amd drivers are still lacking behind nvidia, at least on this app.

8. augustus108

augustus108 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thanks
    Dell finally make customization for dell/au available for 7510
    When i try to config with two M2 PCIe, it say this is not possible.

The price is significant different between Aus (look like they just took that off again) and US
    The price I see from Dell/us, is that final?

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is often possible to get the price knocked down a little bit from what is shown on the web site. They are usually showing a default "discount" of 30%, but 35% or 40% coupons show up from time to time. If you order through a sales rep sometimes you can get them to lower the price a little, or throw in something for free like ProSupport.

10. farrenyoung

farrenyoung Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I bought mine I was able to stack two coupons, 40% off and $200 off. Look around for the coupons or like mentioned, call a rep directly and they can give you the best price. Sometimes you have to talk to a few as some will not budge from the starting price.