The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. bee144

bee144 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    just live with it. Do you use your laptop with your face pressed up against it? If not then you're just looking for imperfections.

alexhawker, viperbeans and z31fanatic like this.
  2. designrama

designrama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure photoshop is running on AMD, I've set it to maximize performance in AMD catalyst control center. It seems only affecting photoshop only. How do you tell which GPU it is running?

Agree with AMD, this is my first AMD GPU. Either the switchable GPU isn't working well or Nvidia is just miles ahead of AMD.

Solved it:

Disable switchable gpu in bios/uefi
    Set CS6 PS's performance preference setting: Advanced graphics processor settings , drawing mode to Normal (Instead of Advanced)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  3. viperbeans

viperbeans Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Chiimaero.. I ended up doing an ePSA Pre-boot check to see if it was any worse under load and it seemed no worse then idle. When I ran 3DMark it did get noticeable louder and started making a clicking noise..

Suppose I'll live with it..

Sadly the touch track pad seems faulty.. Cursor randomly freezes or jumps..

Haha, yeah point taken. Live with it I shall.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  4. Kenzie1

Kenzie1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Question on Trackpad
    I have been going back and forth with Dell since Acquisition of the Ubuntu version of their hardware 7510. only Annoyance I have found to date for the past 60 days is the inability of DELL to release the Driver for the Trackpad or call out the variable which controls scrolling to return it to (standard) not (2011) 10.7.x touchscreen mode. 60 days and DELL cannot answer this one small question... (which variable to change and to what) now if it was a synaptics device I would have already corrected the setting considering it is a Dell Device with a Dell driver I figured they would know, but they seem to not know nor did they test to make sure it could be changed like it can be on windows with the same hardware.

xinput list

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    @Work:~$ xinput query-state 11
    2 classes :
    ButtonClass
    button[1]=up
    button[2]=up
    button[3]=up
    button[4]=up
    button[5]=up
    button[6]=up
    button[7]=up
    ValuatorClass Mode=Relative Proximity=In
    valuator[0]=717
    valuator[1]=577
    valuator[2]=-68070

@Work:~$ xinput query-state 4
    2 classes :
    ButtonClass
    button[1]=up
    button[2]=up
    button[3]=up
    button[4]=up
    button[5]=up
    button[6]=up
    button[7]=up
    button[8]=up
    button[9]=up
    button[10]=up
    ValuatorClass Mode=Relative Proximity=In
    valuator[0]=960
    valuator[1]=540

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  5. designrama

designrama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow AMD....just wow.
    I booted up the M7510 tonight and AMD driver update notification popped up. New driver is always better right? After reboot, it tells me that FirePro M5170M is now Radeon R9 M375X. LOL. I should have gone with Quadro setup.

6. epsilon72

epsilon72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The M375X is just the consumer version of your card. AMD's auto driver update utility is not smart and downloads regular drivers instead of sticking to the FirePro ones. With my FirePro m6100 if I let the driver update utility choose the driver for me, my card shows up as a HD 8950.

Just stick with the latest driver that AMD lists for your card on their website and disable/don't pay attention to any auto update notifications.

huntnyc likes this.
  7. Miami Chillin

Miami Chillin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Just recently picked up the Precision with a 1TB HDD and bought a Samsung EVO 950 SSD to add in the M2 slot. Unfortunately when I try to start up the driver it says that the SSD is not connected. Whats weird is that the migration program that Samsung offers is reading the SSD but not the driver is not. Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  8. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What are you doing that is not seeing the SSD? If you are using Windows 7 you will need to install the Samsung NVMe driver if the system is running in AHCI mode, or the Intel Rapid Storage driver if the system is running in RAID mode. If you are trying to use something other than Windows (to clone perhaps), try switching the SATA mode between RAID (default) and AHCI.

9. Miami Chillin

Miami Chillin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm currently using Windows 7 and when I download the driver and try to open the application it says "Samsung nvm device not connected. Connect the device and try again."

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Is this a SecureBoot issue? Check that the EVO 950 is enabled as a bootable device in the BIOS.

John