The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    You meant the K2100M right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. M.J.S.

M.J.S. Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t expect Nvidia to “artificially limit Quadros for gaming” per se. I believe they do two things:
    1. They clock them for reliability and stability, i.e. lower than they would typically clock the same chip for gaming.
    2. The drivers are optimised for precision of calculations, not for gaming performance, i.e. not for high frame rates at the expense of some precision.

ygohome likes this.
  3. PityOnU

PityOnU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes. Although the benchmark is higher than I remembered it being (thought it was closer to 1000). Ends up only being ~35% faster.

I'm not here to argue things, so sure.

Either way, the Quadro cards still bomb at gaming compared to the FirePro.

4. johansan

johansan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm just about to order the 7510 but am wondering about the fan noise. Is it high pitched, or does it vary in pitch a lot?

Previous Dell laptops had fans that "Pulsated" on medium load. Currently I have a MacBook Pro which is near silent in idle mode, and the Asus G751JY which is very silent even under heavy load due to its large fans. I'm looking into getting the 7510 but not if the fan noise is horrible.

5. JimHall

JimHall Newbie

Reputations:
    Disclaimer: I work for Dell, but I purchased this machine for my own personal use and development.

Here are the results of my test: http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=51635218360

Great machine so far. Wish it had the Thunderbolt port, but I don't see a need for it now or in the near future. One question. I discovered the WWAN slot is an M.2 slot as well. Any idea if a SSD would work there? I ordered an additional 512GB SATA drive from Crucial for the SATA bay (though it looks like could add another nVME card in the future there). I'll just move the SSD into a USB3 enclosure once a 1TB nVME gets more affordable. Since I have no need for the WWAN card, hoping SSD manufacturers take advantage of that slot, if possible. So far I have 1TB on board with the 256 nVME, 512GB SSD, and a 256GB SDXC card. I love the 4K display, especially that it is non-touch and not glossy.

ygohome and quantumshadow like this.
  6. epsilon72

epsilon72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, big difference in 3D passmark between your machine and the one in the previous page, both m2000m.
    1664 vs your 3584. Maybe a driver issue?

7. JimHall

JimHall Newbie

Reputations:
    There was a new driver installed after I upgraded to Windows 10. I had originally ordered my system with Windows 7. Decided to give Windows 10 a try, with expectation to downgrade, restore to 7 if I didn't like. I am really digging Windows 10 after a few tweaks and can find myself very productive in it. I am currently running the Dell Factory Settings profile from the Precision Optimizer tool. I didn't run a Passmark on prior installations or configs so I don't know why the other posted a 1664.

ygohome likes this.
  8. quantumshadow

quantumshadow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You cant use NVMe card in mSATA/M.2 port.

Why not use dirt cheap SATA Samsung 850 EVO\PRO ? Current one of the best NVMe Samsung 950PRO is hot and power hog. Also its expensive. I cant see a reason to prefer it over common SATA SSD, except slightly better 4K block performance and mostly useless raw sequential read/write.
    Next year Intel/Micron are rolling out Optane/3D Xpoint so current NAND SSD would be even cheaper.

funny enough. :vbbiggrin:

9. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's entirely irrelevant. Quadro cards aren't meant for gaming. If you need a toy, buy a toy.

10. JimHall

JimHall Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed a Crucial SATA SSD off Black Friday deal from Amazon. It'll end up in an external enclosure in a year once 1TB or greater drives become more reasonably priced and I buy the necessary interposer part. I believe the M.2 slot for WWAN is M keyed based on my googling. Not sure if that slot will turn into a storage slot in the future. Also, I am not sure what you mean by not being able to use NVMe card in M.2 port. Isn't that what the current NVMe cards are installed into?