The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. oruvin

oruvin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So does it mean that dell.co.uk ship to Finland??

2. epsilon72

epsilon72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are the 4k IGZO displays used in the 7510's the same 100% srgb, not-wide-gamut ones Dell uses in other laptops?

Looking at the user manual, it seems like it will be similar to changing out the m4800 keyboard. There are several screws on the underside to loosen, and you will have to gently pry up the keyboard bezel to remove it. Not the best design but far from the worst.

3. herrantti

herrantti Newbie

Reputations:
    Eventually I couldn't order from there either: they had an option to declare country (other sites didn't have) where to ship but the site didn't let me go any further if I putted Finland there. Dell should do something about the case if they want my money :D.

4. Xerodesign

Xerodesign Newbie

Reputations:
    I was able to order one through my company on 11/12. As of today (11/17) it's still sitting in the "Order Processing" stage with a delivery date of 12/11.

5. PityOnU

PityOnU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When somebody does finally net one of these, I would very much appreciate a PassMark GPU benchmark. I'd like to see what the new MXM cards are capable of.

6. 5150cd

5150cd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've got one delivered a few days ago. Added a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB SSD and 16GB DDR4L. I'll try to post benchmarks as you request them.

With a M2000M, I got 1664 on the 3D test and 530 on the 2D.

Links to all PassMark benches: http://imgur.com/a/X8ClL

7. epsilon72

Reputations:
    How accurate is passmark as a measure of performance when comparing AMD vs Nvidia? That score is about what I expected compared to a consumer gtx 960m (same chip), but the firepro m5100 used in the Precision m4800 gets an even higher score than both of those (2103)

8. 5150cd

5150cd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My initial impressions of the laptop is that it is well-built, sturdy, plenty fast. However, I am very disappointed with the 4k display. Maybe I just prefer a brighter screen, but for office use I'm not impressed with the brightness and the screen just looks bland. Also, the viewing angles aren't very good either. My Latitude E7440 has a more preferable screen for me, and although I love high resolution, I had to increase the zoom to about 200% on most things to make it readable and then some of the programs just look strange. If you have any other questions now is the time to ask because I'm most likely sending this guy back. I'm sure for the right type of user this screen is glorious, but for me it's not working for me.

9. epsilon72

Reputations:
    How is the battery life?

10. PityOnU

PityOnU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome! Thanks for running that for me - I really appreciate it.

This would indicate that in addition to having 2x the VRAM, the new top-of-the-line nVidia card is 60% more powerful than the previous gen (Precision 4800) flagship nVidia.

Still gets absolutely owned by the AMD M5100 for gaming, though. :/ That gets around 2000.

I don't think the test takes into account VRAM, but as far as gaming workloads go, it's accurate.

You have to consider that the Quadro is a "professional" GPU from nVidia. This means they have "optimized" it for things like CUDA, OpenCL, and other GPU compute tasks. It's not meant for gaming.

This actually has nothing to do with the hardware. When nVidia says their card is "optimized" for gaming instead of professional use (or vice versa), what it actually means is that they have artificially limited performance of the card in the other aspect. This is done through either firmware, drivers, or both. Again, the reasoning behind this is purely market driven, and has nothing to do with the card.

AMD has traditionally been much less restrictive with their hardware. While their cards have a higher TDP and are less computationally powerful than nVidia's actual hardware, they do not limit performance of their cards at all. So in real world usage, you end up with a pretty big difference (as seen here).