The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7550 & 7750 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by SlurpJug, May 30, 2020.

1. vdang2k

vdang2k Newbie

Reputations:
    I was able to put the 7550 RTX 5000 in the 7750 w/out any problems. Everything matched up like the RTX 3000. However, when I powered up the laptop nothing was running. I don't know if the VBIOs has anything to do with it.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It does look like they are more similar than with the Precision 7X30/7X40 which had quite a different design between 15" and 17". But just looking at them, you can tell at least the top-left screw hole is in a different position (and the 17" card is physically larger).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe there are different versions of the heatsink that account for this so you could install a 7550 card in a 7750 system.
    However, Dell uses different part numbers even for their low-end cards (which wouldn't have a different power limit between the two systems) so I'd be pretty skeptical about expecting a cross-upgrade to work. I've never heard a success story on that.

[Edit]
    Not sure why images aren't loading.
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WIAAAOSw9ORhQM2~/s-l500.jpg
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ii0AAOSwbbNe5eOE/s-l500.jpg

3. vdang2k

vdang2k Newbie

Reputations:
    [Edit]
    Not sure why images aren't loading.

You are right about the heatsink. The one I bought for the 7750 RTX 5000 card is larger and did not cover the 7550 card correctly at the R22 transistor end. The 7750 card is definitely larger than the 7550 version. On the minor note the 7750 RTX 3000 heatsink fitted on the 7550 rtx 5000 card much better.
    I am tempted to flash the 7550 card with the 7750 vbios. However, I need the system up and running. Can I disable the dgpu in the bios, swap the card, boot the system with the intergrated gpu then flash the rtx 5000 with 7750 vbios to see if it will work?
    Regards.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You can give this a try. If graphics switching / hybrid graphics is enabled in the BIOS then the system will boot up with the Intel GPU. You'll have to put your old GPU back in to make changes in the BIOS (the system will not boot with no GPU or pass-through card present). Or you can find a way to reset the BIOS to default values (hybrid graphics is enabled by default). Pulling the CMOS battery would do it (but I think it is hard to reach in this model, they don't just have it sitting on the bottom of the system anymore?).

As to whether the system will boot with this GPU installed with hybrid graphics on when it didn't like it with hybrid graphics off, I can't really predict.

5. vdang2k

vdang2k Newbie

Reputations:
    I will certainly give it a try. I got this 7550 rtx 5000 card about 1/3 the price of the ones that are being listed on Ebay. Regards.

6. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, is there any way to disable the intel iGPU when using a dGPU ? I was thinking a lot about getting the RTX 3000 however I would like to know if the 7550 is a muxless laptop or not.. since there is a pretty big performance difference between muxed and muxless laptop in term of internal screen performance.
    Thanks

7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Yes, the BIOS has support to fully disable the internal GPU and use the discrete graphics processor only.

Is there? I have never seen conclusive evidence for this.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    All of the 7000-series through the 7X60 allows you to disable graphics switching. I expect that they will keep this and I really hope they do, it's touted as a feature with each new system launch.
    I think my "muxless" he means one that makes you use the Intel GPU all of the time. (There are also certainly "muxless" systems that just stay on the dGPU all of the time.) Regarding the performance difference... yes, for sure there is one, but it is pretty situational. Many applications work fine with Optimus / passthrough from NVIDIA GPU to Intel GPU, but I've run into a number of games at least that definitely perform better with Optimus off. The prime example that I can come up with is any of the Final Fantasy XIII games which have absolutely absurd performance if Optimus is on, I don't understand how it is so bad. I also played Rise of the Tomb Raider on my M6700 about a year ago and I wasn't able to get a smooth framerate in some of the bigger areas unless Optimus was off. (I think something with frame pacing when the system can't quite maintain 60 FPS was at play here, it just was way less choppy without the Intel GPU in the way.)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Thanks you two
    The difference gap is pretty significative, it's about 10% and even more on high FPS game... you should see the difference by using internal screen with "optimus" enabled and also an external screen wired to the dGPU, when switching the window you should see the performance gap :)

10. TheQuentincc

Reputations: