The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kbedrich

kbedrich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've tried a clean install of Windows with no dell software or services enabled, clean boot and all, and the weird power draw with the iGPU on is still there. It's even there on Linux. I'm very glad others have this issue too, I thought I was the only one since no one really mentioned it yet when I noticed the problem. I hope Dell doesn't ignore this and say the high power draw is because this is a "power hungry" laptop, which it is, but it doesn't need to be at idle.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    That is unfortunately what happened with the 7530/7730, and the problem was never fixed.

There was a user in that thread with an iGPU-only 7730, and they had nearly 10 hours of battery life. I am certain that with some optimisation, they would've been able to bring it to 12 hours or so.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  3. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Here's my research from three years ago on the lousy power draw and the weird Lightroom fix. I'm just glad that this issue was noticed this early, because hardly anyone else experienced it or reported it on the 7X30. Hopefully Dell issues a fix. These are far too many issues for workstations...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    zhongze12345 likes this.
  4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    My Precision 7560 is in.

I immediately noticed that the display brightness is PWM-controlled. Not good.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I got a headache within minutes of using the notebook at the lowest brightness. The flickering is easily visible with my mobile phone's camera at 960 FPS, and the red/blue frames are even visible to the naked eye, at nearly all brightness settings.

I installed HWiNFO to see which panel was installed:
    [​IMG]

This is the BOE NV156FHM-N4R. 30-pin panel, looks like I need to find an equivalent LG panel. The colour calibration is also terribly yellow.

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That is a strangely old panel if it was manufactured in 2019... Seems like all of the 4K panels have 2020/2021 manufacture dates. Can you just swap in the panel from the 7530, if it was better, or do the old ones not fit?

Reminds me of another time when we were going through multiple replacements for a Precision M4800 system at the office and every single one that Dell shipped as a replacement had a yellow-tinted display. After rejecting two of them because of this issue, Dell just let me swap in the good panel from the system that we were replacing before shipping it off.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    That panel isn't great, either: 6-bit, very blue, and the matte coating has gotten more 'sparkly' over time.
    Do you happen to know the part number/device ID of the display in your system? I want to see if it has a 0.5mm-pitch 40-pin port, so I can find a good LG 144 Hz 1080p panel to replace this BOE. I have never liked BOE panels, they're like AUO, and love to use PWM.

zhongze12345 likes this.
  8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    HWiNFO64 shows:
    Monitor name - Unknown
    Monitor name (manuf) - LN.V9J0 [DELL P/N: 5785V]
    Monitor hardware ID - Monitor\CTO1115

Not familiar with whatever manufacturer this is (... is it Chi Mei?) but the panel seems top-notch to me. Running at 80% brightness, no flickering, wonderful viewing angle. (I know you'd rather have 1080p than 4K though .....)

9. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've not run HWiNFO before. Is it read only so it cannot make any changes?

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Correct. I just grab the portable version (not the "installed" version) so I can run it and then throw it away.