The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7560 & 7760 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by hoxuantu, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Which Precision do you own?

1. 7560

50.0%
  2. 7760

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. I set out to prove that my 7760 had a maximum lifespan of about 2 hours on battery. I actually discovered quite the opposite - something I didn't expect, but what a pleasant surprise, and now I estimate a solid three hours of real work and 4.5 hours of video playback, provided you set the conditions properly. This is on the default Windows Pro Workstation installation, I have yet to re-image the laptop.

- Run msconfig, click Services, Hide all Microsoft Services, disable everything. I enabled the "Docker" service, but without running any containers for the purpose of this analysis. Reboot.
    - Run ThrottleStop (latest version) and set to the Battery profile. Most importantly: Disable Turbo, and save.
    - Run the Test-Hidden OpenGL app (look at the top of page 18 of this thread by Aaron) to keep the discrete GPU off. Do not disable the discrete GPU in the Device Manager.

With a usable screen brightness, I'm seeing an idle of around 12W-14W. It really depends on what you do. Hitting the disk with a large file copy operation, the energy utilization goes up to 25-30W. Launching Visual Studio, 35W-40W, and once you're editing, back to 14-16W. Watching a video, about 21W. All the extra services running really leach the battery life, along with Turbo mode. I believe there's another way to disable Turbo, but I find these options greyed out in my power management options now, so YMMV.
    P.S.: This was something I l recently earned and a completely different topic, but Nested Virtualization is fully enabled on these laptops and allows you to run Docker in VMs very easily.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    thock likes this.
  2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have not used the 7760 much on battery. I just tried it for a little while. The Dell Power manager is set to Optimized. Brightness is low but not the lowest

Does this have adaptive brightness? I do not see a setting in windows setting for it. Is there a Dell Setting? I looked and cannot find one. I went into the windows mobility center. It showed the brightness was max. I clicked on the slider that was all they way to the right and once I clicked, screen got bright. So I think something else was controlling the brightness. Now the slider is controlling it.

I did notice that opening Dell Power Manager took a while to open. I tried it three times and slow to open. Last week when I tried it (on power) no issue. I will try again when plugged in. May be something else going on.

I put the windows battery setting on Power Saver. It started off saying I have 3 hours and 37 min left. Been on battery for around 20 minutes I have 84% left. The time remaining jumps around as low as 1 hour 48 minutes back up to 3 hours and 30 min and at times in between.

I am only browsing the web (on this forum right now). I figured I will see how long it takes to get to 50%.

Edit:

Hit 50% at 1 hour 10 min. Says 1 hour 4 min remaining

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  3. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think the Precision has adaptive brightness - at least, I've never heard of an ambient light sensor on the Precision. And as you see, the default settings will get you 2 hours and change if you're lucky.

4. kbedrich

kbedrich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another question: What version is your GPU bios? You can check by going into HWinfo, Video Adapter > name of GPU > Video BIOS Version. Mine is 94.04.42.00.e5
    I need someone else with an A4000 in their machine that doesn't have this issue...

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Same VBIOS here.

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Here are images of the absolutely terrible PWM flicker, taken at 1/250 shutter speed:
    [​IMG]

Precision 7530 with LG LP156WF6 display on left, Precision 7560 with BOE NV156FHM-N4R on right:
    [​IMG]

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Ionising_Radiation asked about the 4K panel display cable. I took out the panel to get the information.

The manual says that you need to take the display assembly off of the system before removing the panel. I didn't find this to be necessary. I separated the bezel from the system from the bottom left edge using a pry tool and then worked my way around the bezel clockwise, detaching the "snaps" as I went along. Once all of the snaps were off, I pulled the bezel off. There is adhesive attaching it to the display panel so I recommend removing the bezel from the *bottom* first. Removing it from the top first causes the panel to sort of want to come out with it.

(I broke one of the bezel plastic clips in the corner. Be very careful when prying off. I'll probably put a little bit of glue to hold it in place there because I don't think that I'll ever take it off again.)

Once the bezel is off, the panel is just attached by four screws.

The magnet in the top right corner of the bezel comes out of its retainer easily, or at least that was the case for me. Take care when putting the bezel back on that it is in the proper position.

Here are photos of the labels on the back of the panel, the display cable, the display enclosure itself, and the camera assembly. I also tried to get one of the display cable connector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I previously mentioned that I had started to get hinge squeak. That's gone after taking the bezel off and reattaching it. I don't think that it was the hinge squeaking, but just some plastic rubbing the wrong way or something when I adjusted the display angle.

8. bklawton

bklawton Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell, I'm not having any issues but I've not been doing the types of benchmarking lots of folks here are so maybe I do have issues but just don't realize it. In ny case, I wanted to note that my VBOIS appears to be newer that what you posted. I'm running Windows 11 and have applied all updates as prompted by Dell's Command Update / SupportAssist as well as the updated drivers available from NVIDIA.
    upload_2021-8-20_9-24-46.png
    upload_2021-8-20_9-26-53.png

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A different vBIOS version between 7560 and 7760 would be expected. Probably, the only difference is the power limit.

10. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 7760 A5000 ends in e8
    94.04.42.00.e8