The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It looks like you would need to buy the camera module and the bezel with the camera and mic holes.

screen bezel dell part number : MM4Y2
    webcam module dell part number : J8NNP

2. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The B173ZAN01 is just the bare AU Optronics IGZO LCD panel that dell uses for the 4K screen Precision 7710

3. TGoodwin518

TGoodwin518 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I upgraded from the palmrest without a fingerprint sensor to the one with the FIPS fingerprint sensor and the NFC smartcard reader. I've tried everything possible that I can think of, but Windows & Dell Security Tools which I read somewhere that I needed does not detect the fingerprint sensor as being connected. Nothing even shows up under Biometrics inside of Device Manager. I've taken apart my laptop twice now and can confirm that the fingerprint sensor is connected to the USH board. Just incase the USH board was defective, I replaced the USH board that came with the brand new palmrest with the one off of my old one with no luck.

Do you guys know if the fingerprint sensor in the new palmrest is defective or if you can't replace a non-fingerprint palmrest with a fingerprint one? Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!! :)

4. jbhw

jbhw Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to jump in, and not sure if this is a question for here or the 7720 owners' thread, but I was wondering:

Is it feasible to swap a 7710 motherboard with a 7720 motherboard?

Quick backstory:
    I recently picked up a lightly used 7710 off lease, which worked splendidly for several months before refusing to power up one day. No activity on battery or adapter, and the adapter light shut off when I plugged in, so I had a hunch that it was power related / a short on one of the boards.
    After some troubleshooting (inspected the DC port cable, used different AC adapters, tried a dock, got a once-over from local shop), I think I'll have to replace the main board unless I can find a way to repair it outright.

As far as I can tell, the two systems are very similar, and being able to use either 7710/7720 boards would make it easier to source a replacement.

Would there be any major issues to be concerned about?

Off the top of my head:
    - possible issues getting my M3000M to work
    - would have to replace the left IO board / replace trim or make a hole in the chassis to actually use TB3 (I had a non-TB3 7710).

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I believe that the motherboards are cross-compatible. (I know they were for 7510 and 7520...) As long as the screw holes are in the same place then you should be good.

Regarding the USB-C/Thunderbolt port, it is possible just to replace the outer trim piece of the chassis with one that has that port. (Probably the easiest way to go... if you can find the part.)

And regarding the M3000M graphics card, that would require an INF mod in order to get the driver to load on the 7520 motherboard. This is similar to what you have to do to upgrade the GPU in one of these systems, even though it is more of a "downgrade" in this case. I have some details of the process here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-253#post-10937563

6. jbhw

jbhw Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the rundown! It seems like it might be less expensive to get a 7720 motherboard, so I was toying with the idea.

7. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, I bought a 7710 today (help) and I have some questions:

-M.2 slot is NVMe or SATA? I have a NVMe SSD here, so I'm interested to use it if it's compatible.
    -I have a Quadro P4000 on my M6700, so that means it has a modified vbios already. Will it work without any issues with 7710? I don't care about driver modding, since I did that already on M6700.
    -Can I replace DVD drive with a 2nd HDD caddy? I have some laying around.
    -All screens are eDP or there are LVDs screens that were made for 7710?

Thanks in advance.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    1. All of the M.2 slots support both NVMe and SATA in this system. You can use either type of drive, or mix and match.
    2. Quadro P4000 "should" work just fine in this system. (I don't think that it even needs the vBIOS mod, but that shouldn't hurt.)
    3. 7710 does not have a DVD drive at all. Only one 2.5" SATA drive can be installed.
    4. All 7710 screens are eDP.

PhOeNiX_H likes this.
  9. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am looking at the SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 8TB (MZ-77Q8T0B)

Amazon has it for $750. Is this a reliable drive? I have read some mix reviews.

I want to use it on a Dell Precision Desktop 7910 as a second drive for Dropbox (I have 6TB of data). However, I plan to first put it in my 7710 to test and also update the firmware. My 7910 desktop has an SAS controller so Magician will will see the drive.

thanks,

Mike

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I have this drive running in a Precision 7510. Works fine.
    I also have a Samsung 860 QVO 4TB in my M6700 and I'm happy with it too.