The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ctorange

ctorange Newbie

Reputations:
    Well good news, I can get said monitor to work using a mini-DP to DP cable, at the full 1440p 165 Hz. This is acceptable to me. FWIW, my vBIOS version is 86.04.50.80.00

2. pseudodeed

pseudodeed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please Help.
    Hello have anbody a 7710 with m4000m and without dual GPU? I mean Intel GPU deaktivate. Are the new Drives from Nvidia working? Version 493.xx? I have the Problem that all Driver from 466.xx gives me black Screen after Install. I have read that this Problem have many people.
    that this problem
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  3. pseudodeed

pseudodeed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe the problem ist the older vbios.
    Hello, i have an upgraded Laptop with a nvidia quadro m4000m gpu forum 7710. I have some issues with the old vBios. I have the Black Screen problem.
    Please can anybody share the vbios form the nvidia quadro m4000m gpu forum 7710?
    I will test it if there will be sove my problems.
    Thanks
    Best regards

4. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  5. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My 7710 started having an issue where it just freezes up - can't click on any buttons, start menu, or ctrl+alt+delete. Only thing I can seem to do is hold the power button down to power off and then power on. Often the hard drive light is blinking while it's frozen up in a seemingly constant blinking pattern.

I have a 512 GB samsung 950 pro nvme ssd as the boot drive. Samsung Magician shows no smart errors on the drive. A scan of the drive from windows shows no errors following a power cycle, and unfortunately after rebooting there is nothing relating to the hang event that I can find logged in event viewer.

It first happened only twice when running a windows defender full scan, then no problems for a few months, but now crashed when doing random things (just browsing the web with two browsers open, running windows update, and even shutting down with the blue shutting down screen hanging and the wheel spinning for 15 minutes and the hard drive light blinking but never actually shutting down.)

Anyone seen any odd behavior with driver updates and the 950 pro ssd in this machine this year?

Tried reseating battery, memory, and ssd and didn't have a problem for 4 days, but then today it froze twice.

I don't think I can get a like 950 pro ssd any more, so if I can't think of anything else I suppose I'll grab a 1 TB 980, do a fresh install and if that's good, restore a windows backup image to it and see if the problem continues.

Seems like it might be ssd/storage controller related due to the blinking drive light most of the time it freezes, but not sure if it's something with the board controller hardware or the 950 pro ssd since I don't have another one on hand to test with yet.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone has any ideas before I get my hands on an alternate ssd to test with.

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Does the mouse cursor still move when the system is locked up? That'd be consistent with a drive issue. (It is suddenly unable to read anything off of the disk so basically the OS grinds to a halt.) If the mouse is also locked up I'd be more suspect of the RAM.

Anyway. You can try switching from RAID mode to AHCI mode or vice versa. That will switch the disk controller driver in use which may (or may not) help work around this problem. If the disk controller mode in the BIOS is set to RAID mode (which is the default) then you can use this procedure to switch to AHCI mode. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...60-owners-thread.836381/page-64#post-11112315

Otherwise, just swapping out the drive is a good idea. Samsung 970 EVO Plus is a bit cheaper than 980 Pro and otherwise pretty similar. (980 Pro has PCIe4 which will not be useful in this system. 970 EVO Plus and 980 Pro are both TLC so they have similar endurance. Past Samsung Pro drives were MLC drives with higher endurance, but they "downgraded" that with 980 Pro.)

7. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks!

Yes, mouse cursor still moves when it's locked up.

Just nothing on the taskbar does anything when I click an icon, can't close the open window, can't open task manager with ctrl+alt+del, etc.

I ran the windows Memory diagnostic and it didn't pick up any issue.

I was thinking of ordering a 980 (non pro) 1TB for $109.

The 970 EVO Plus is $118 -- I wonder if that is a better option because of more testing in the 7710 than the newer 980 (non pro.)

Both seem to have pretty good read/write compared to the existing 950 pro.

The 950 Pro in this system shows under 40 TB written since it was new several years ago.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  8. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Problem seems to be getting worse -- noticed I missed a samsung nvme driver update (since 2019!) and there was a "Windows 10 RS5 compatibility fix" noted, so installed the latest samsung nvme driver. Rebooted a few times without issue.

Thought maybe that would solve it, but it froze up running the samsung magician "benchmark all" tool. Ran that a week ago without issue. This time, time just kept getting longer for both elapsed and remaining, up to 6 minutes, and I couldn't close the program or have any icon, start menu, etc. do anything. Hard drive light blinking at constant blinking rate. So I power cycled after a few minutes.

On power start, I got a message that "no bootable device" was found.
    Ran the onboard dell diagnostics which ran video and memory tests and said all tests passed, but it was showing only one drive, the secondary sata 850 pro ssd, and not the boot 950 pro ssd.
    Powered off and on again, and this time windows booted normally as if nothing had happened.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  9. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Tried to copy an image backup, and it locked up again.

Now rebooting I got no boot device found, and in bios under Device Information it shows M.2 PCIe SSD-1 = (none)
    (the slot where the 950 pro is installed and showed before)

Exit bios, and then windows comes up normally as if the 950 boot drive didn't have an issue. 950 pro drive is running at 53C idle temp (after booting windows and nothing else running) which is higher than before I updated the nvme driver earlier tonight.

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, definitely suspicious about the health of your SSD. :-\

summersun likes this.