The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you overprovision your Samsung drives with magician?

I have a 1TB 960 and 970 pro in my 7710 and I did I initially overprovision the 10 percent. I now have 180gb free on each and magician gives a message of insufficient disk space.

Also wondering if I should overprovision the 870 8TB once I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, I don't think that this is necessary (if the OS is issuing TRIM commands properly) as long as you just make sure that the drive doesn't sit at "almost full", at least for extended periods of time.

3. OopsieWhoopsie

OopsieWhoopsie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there, I've got a Dell 7710 w/ i7-6920HQ. My goal is to enable the ability to undervolt. The BIOS is latest release 1.21.3 from Dell's website. To address the Plundervolt breach, Dell disabled the ability to undervolt on most notebooks. However, there is a tutorial alongside ThrottleStop on how to restore undervolting capabilities to Dell notebooks. I'd like to keep the latest BIOS for the other security patches. The guide is found here: https://brendangreenley.com/undervo...hermals-battery-life-and-speed/#cpu-undervolt

The process was pretty straightforward. I was able to extract the IFR file, check out the overclocking variable offset (0x183) and the CFG variable offset (0x109). Problem is, the change to the overclocking value is overwritten after one reboot. So basically I change the variable -> reboot -> ThrottleStop or Intel XTU have undervolting & overclocking unlocked -> reboot -> capabilities are gone, access is locked again. Only the overclocking lock variable 0x183 is changed to 0x1 again, the CFG lock stays in the changed unlocked position 0x0. I'm aware this is a somewhat special request, but still: has someone an idea what is reverting the value change on the overclocking lock? I've tried to boot to another OS instead of Windows but same thing there, second reboot and the capabilities are gone.
    Thank you

4. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hallo.
    I have the chance to get a really cheap 7710 and I was wondering if anybody did try to upgrade to a mxm RTX Turing?.
    Any help would be great.

5. rinconmike

Reputations:
    Last night I turned connected the HDMI, mDP, and Cat5 on my 7710 but forgot to connect the power. I used it for around 20 min. This morning I realized and went to power on and the displays did not come on. sometimes that happens. So I held the power button to force power off, hard the fans ramp for a second and then off. I had the displays disconnected and went to power on. after a few seconds the laptop display flashes and then nothing. If I hit the keyboard the keyboard lights up. The power and on LED are lit.

Any ideas on what to do?

6. rinconmike

Reputations:
    I got in. First I tried disconnecting the power and battery and no luck. Then I read I need to hold the power button for 20 seconds after disconnecting the power and batter. I then inserted battery, connected power, and it booted.

I guess it was stuck in a low power stated.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  7. ctorange

ctorange Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I hope this isn't the wrong place to post this. I just upgraded my 7710 with a Quadro P5000. I modded the .inf and the card works fine now with the latest driver. I tried a few games and I got the performance I would expect. However, I cannot get any display out from the laptop now. The laptop display also only works with optimus, if I change to discrete only in the bios, I get a completely black screen (I had to navigate the bios blind to get back to optimus.) This is despite modifying the inf with a string for optimus enabled (machine type 06DA) and disabled (machine type 16DA, I think... I could have constructed that string wrong, though.) I'm wondering if the section numbers need to be changed. For each OS section in the inf, I used the section number from the 7720's corresponding string, in my constructed 7710 strings. That was just a guess.

If I can only get the internal display running on optimus, that's fine, but I'd really like to get dgpu out to external displays. Thank you for any help.

Interestingly enough, with my old M5000M, I could never get dgpu mode working for the laptop display either. The machine would boot into windows using a low resolution mode, and then go black when it tried to change to the dgpu. BIOS would show up, though. (I could always get an external display connected to the dgpu, though.) I don't know if this has any bearing on the P5000 situation, but you never know.

EDIT: Just after posting this, I tried a different external display, a 1080p 144hz monitor connected via a usb-c to dual link dvi adapter, and it worked fine, just as I would have expected with the M5000m. However, the other display I tried (and that used to work) is my 1440p 165hz monitor via usb-c to DP cable, and it still doesn't get any signal.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I'm assuming you have the "discrete direct output mode" setting ENABLED in the BIOS? (That will attach external displays directly to the dGPU rather than having them pass through the iGPU.)

What is the vBIOS version on your P5000? If it is not the same as the one used in the Precision 7720, that might be something to try. You could also try the ES vBIOS (version 86.04.2E.00.0D) used to get this card up and running in the Precision M6700/M6800. When I had a P5000 in my M6700 with this vBIOS, I had no trouble with direct external output via DisplayPort.

9. ctorange

ctorange Newbie

Reputations:
    Correct, I am using the discrete output mode in BIOS. Nvidia Control Panel isn't working right now, so I'll have to look into the vBios issue once I get that working. Thanks.

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    GPU-Z can report the vBIOS version. To update it you would have to use nvflash.

ctorange likes this.