The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. burner98

burner98 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, looking to order a 7710 this week. Thinking the FHD (1920x1080) display (don't want to deal with the scaling issues) and the i7-6820HQ seems like it's worth the extra $213.

Was hoping people could help with pros and cons on the AMD W7170M vs Nvidia M3000M? I'm using it for mobile image editing and VMware and when at home plugged into multiple external monitors.

Much appreciated.

2. ulubiony

ulubiony Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Maru,

Just to be sure, so that means Dell sells vPro SKUs with any Precision model so long as the CPU and PCH are compatible ones as customers request?

E.g. Precision 7710 (w/ vPro) and 7710 (with vPro) can both build to order?​

Some OEMs don't make vPro part of the PCB design and so even when there's vPro-compatible keyparts used they
    don't have vPro functionalities.

Thanks!!

3. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ulubiony: On Dell's US public site, there are three 7710 models and when you click "Customize and Buy" next to one of the models, then you get to a page to customize that configuration where you can choose the options. If you don't find the options you want you might have to start with a different model. The vPro options are way down the page under "Systems Management".

The site is different in other countries. There is a country menu in the footer of many pages on Dell's site.

On the UK public site, there is one 7710 model, and the button is called "Customize". The default processor does not permit vPro, but after you choose a vPro capable processor, then the "Systems Management" section changes to show the choice of no out-of-band systems management, or vPro. (The "Systems Management" section is different from the "Systems Management Software" section. Use control-F 'find' in your browser to find it within the page.)

These configuration pages also have online 'chat' where you can communicate with a Dell representative. (One advantage of text chat is that you can copy the text and save a text file of the conversation.)

There might be a separate ordering pages for 'Premier' large-corporate or government accounts, where organizations set up a set of restrictions on the models or configurations that their employees can order.

ulubiony likes this.
  4. ulubiony

ulubiony Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Maru, brilliant that is! I'd thought it would be quite a hassle to go through all the pages and find a Dell rep until your message came. Thank you so very much.

Regards to you.

5. dgently

dgently Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't know why everyone posts on the other thread...
    Just got my 7710 with UHD, Xeon E3-1505M and M3000M, sm951 512gb.
    Like it a lot so far.
    Got Ubuntu 16.04 installed without any hassles. The most difficult part was getting Windows 10 to shrink as much as I wanted (down to 75gb) and boot in AHCI mode, but once I found the solutions for that, it all went smoothly.
    Everything seems to work out of the box in Ubuntu (sound, video including external monitor, etc) and the power consumption seems to be quite good (same as on my XPS 15 9530 despite the larger screen, although the XPS had touch so maybe that is equivalent in terms of power consumption). This includes the 2tb HDD I installed for media.
    Now if only I could get it to work with a smaller Power Supply when I am on the go...
    Optimus installation is next, although I won't use the NVIDIA much since I am a programmer and don't game...
    Cheers

ulubiony likes this.
  6. muzicman82

muzicman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So regarding NVIDIA Optimus, on Windows, is there a way to monitor Intel vs NVIDIA GPU usage?

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In the NVIDIA control panel, go to Desktop -> Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area in the menu. You should get a new square icon on the system tray. If the NVIDIA GPU is off, it should show as black/grey. If it is colored, the NVIDIA GPU is on, and you should be able to click to see which programs are using it.

Also, see this post where I have posted the NVIDIA Optimus Test Tool, which is an app you can run that will show NVIDIA GPU activity.[/url]

8. gulf-of-mexico

gulf-of-mexico Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just upgraded from a Dell m6800 to a Dell Precision m7710 and I really like the new 7710.

The only thing I noticed is that the boot speed of the 7710 to windows 10 is about 40 seconds whereas the 6800 was 19 seconds.

The 6800 had a samsung 850 ssd whereas the 7710 has a 950 pro, so the 7710 should be faster.

I hope a future bios update speeds up the boot speed to the m6800 level again which was really speedy.

Other than that, I love the m7710!

9. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    One more for the Dell Precision 7710 Club :)
    Arriving next Monday all being well .
    Will give my thoughts on it then - I feel like a kid at Christmas just now , counting the days ....woohoo !!
    The seller is going to install a 256GB SSD for me to go with the i7-6820HQ -16GB Ram - 1TB - M3000 -
    Was initially going down the refurbished route but found one that is new at a price I couldn't resist .

10. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Guys ,
    My new Dell Precision 7710 arrived today and first thoughts are '' Wow !! '' - second thoughts are '' It's very big '' - third thoughts are '' Wow , is this thing really mine ? '' . :)