The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Dionis778

Dionis778 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot.
    Where do the m.2 PCIe drives go?
    Believe it or not, I can't find much info on that (like googling "dell 7710 m.2 PCIe slot").
    An early discussion on this forum clearly points out that "The 7710 will have 1 x 2.5" SATA drive bay & 2 x M.2 PCIe SSD slots. The 2.5" bay can also take a M.2 PCIe SSD in an interposer. The 2.5" connector is a dual type connector that can take both SATA drives and PCIe drives."
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...bile-workstations-press-release.782179/page-9
    But I cant find more on it, Dell's own pics showing the laptop without an SC slot on the left side (can't find even what SC is).
    Sorry for the dumbness but our Dell reps seem even dumber..

2. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The M.2 slots are on the bottom of the machine next to the memory. Take off the bottom panel to access (page 11 of the manual). Page 18 shows the M.2 slots next to the memory.

Mike

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    From varnum in 7710 Hands on thread:
    http://i.imgur.com/wxJbEVo.jpg
    The M.2 slots are to the right of the center of the image, the tall slots above the HDD.

An M.2 drive looks like:
    [​IMG]

4. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Try adding the term owner's manual to your search.
    Non-PDF here.

5. deathstorm

deathstorm Newbie

Reputations:
    I apologize if this has been answered already but I can't find any information on it anywhere...does anyone know if the m.2 slots will accept SATA3 m.2 drives as well as the new PCIe drives? Or is it PCIe drives only? Trying to figure out a configuration that will work and give me maximum storage capacity but don't want to spend the extra money on a 1TB m.2 PCIe drive if a SATA3 drive will work in that slot.

6. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They sell it with the option of SATA m.2 drives on Premier, so I'm fairly sure you're good to go on that one.

deathstorm likes this.
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Additionally I've seen confirmation that SATA M.2 drives work in the 5510. This doesn't mean to me for sure that they also work in 7510/7710, but it would be very strange if they didn't.

deathstorm likes this.
  8. Dionis778

Dionis778 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you Aaron, rinconmike, mr_handy, and Alex.
    Particularly for the manual reference and pics.
    Either the Dell vendors here are dumb or I got a somehow deficient 7710 without M.2 slots which is unlikely.
    My laptop has a 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive, MPWS (400-AFGY) and I was planning on putting in PCIe for storage.

9. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I believe it's a combination port/connector that supports both types of connection/drive.

10. deathstorm

deathstorm Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks!

I never noticed the SATA drive on the premier page and I've been scouring the internet for information and haven't been very successful until now.

Thanks again!