The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7730,5530,7530 (Coffee Lake) pre-release

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by sench, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Intel has still released a select number of Coffee Lake CPUs. Dell will wait for more CPUs including Xeons to be available before launching the new Precision machines. Usually, we see the Precision refresh two or three months after the new generation of CPUs begins to launch (which is happening right now), so, we're probably looking at a June/July timeframe.

Dell won't wait for Volta, but they will include it if it is available. NVIDIA may well be able to have it ready as they have started to launch Volta desktop GPUs on the pro side, including a high-end Quadro. NVIDIA times mobile Quadro releases with the mobile workstation refresh cycle. (Precision, Zbook, and Lenovo ThinkPad P-series always seem to release refreshes within weeks or even days of each other.)

Wouldn't it be interesting to have laptop Quadros available before the corresponding GeForce cards... I don't remember that ever happening before...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Michiko

Michiko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hope Dell keeps the E-Port dock too, but I doubt they will.
    Those TB docks just don't compare to the good old E-Port dock.

alexhawker likes this.
  3. jazzman

jazzman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    any news about thesenew models?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    HP has announced their ZBook refresh. Again, I expect that Dell, HP, and Lenovo will refresh their systems within a short period of time of each other, so we could be hearing something from the others soon. Dell doesn't typically reveal much about the systems until they are about ready to start selling them, though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hp-zbook-notebooks-dreamcolor-monitor,36829.html

On the NVIDIA side, it looks like we are getting refreshed Pascal Quadros. Not Volta. The lineup is Quadro P600, P1000, P2000, P3200, P4200, and P5200. No specs on these cards yet, but 15" systems can get Pascal now, it was restricted to 17" systems in the previous generation. Xeon E CPUs are included as @jazzman mentioned.

The refreshed ZBook 15v will be available in May. They are also releasing two new "ZBook Studio" machines that will be available in May. These systems are more comparable to the Precision 55XX line. I'm not sure what the difference between the three HP models is (not terribly interested to dig in too far since I won't be looking to get any), they are each 15" systems of the more slim type.

They also announced two larger systems, a traditional 15" and 17". The larger machines don't have a price or release date. I'm still sticking with June at the earliest. (The Precision 5530 may release a bit earlier, like the Precision 5520 did last year.)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Arondel, Michiko and sicily428 like this.
  6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Actually, TechPowerUp has specs listed on some of the refreshed NVIDIA Quadro cards.

P5200 = 2048 shaders @ 1556 MHz
    (vs. P5000 = 2048 shaders @ 1278 MHz)
    Strictly a clock rate boost and it should offer a corresponding jump in performance (about 22%) assuming throttling and so forth aren't an issue. At these specs, it is faster than a GeForce 1070 but still slower than the 1080.

P3200 = 1280 shaders @ 1088 MHz
    I'm confused about this one because it has the same specs as the P3000. Maybe TechPowerUp doesn't have the new information in place yet. This is "breaking news" after all.

sicily428 likes this.
  7. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The HP datasheet shows a P5200 Max Q. Shaders and clocks may be different from the vanilla P5200. I am trying to find something on Nvidia's site.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Max-Q is generally slower than vanilla right? (For power efficiency / slim designs.)

9. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, their performance is generally reduced by 10-15% (depending on implementation) and they are supposed to offer a reduction in noise (if the notebook adheres to the whole Max Q specifications)

10. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HP just announced Zbook G5 with P5200, Dell and Lenovo could be doing the same thing. Anyway I don't see the rational of new release now, next generation graphic card is still not ready.

I not only hope for E-Port to be continued, i wish the dock to be upgraded with USB type-C/TB3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.