The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7750/7550 release date?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Kyle, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    You have 4 thermal options to choose from. Quiet, Cool, Balanced, and Ultra Performance.

2. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Am I the only guy that will miss the 2.5" drive bay?

SSDs are nice and but there are occasions where a cheap 2tb mechanical drive is more cost effective.

AlexeyAlekpekov likes this.
  3. LainyEdwards

LainyEdwards Newbie

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G
    With the ability to scale down the same specs into smaller chassis, what difference will we see between the 7550 and the 7750 performance-wise?

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @Aaron44126, thanks for asking all the questions I wanted to.

@Dell-Mano_G, I have just a couple more questions/notes, to add on:
    1. Is Dell looking at moving to high-refresh-rate/OLED panels for either this generation, or in future? There exist a few OLED panels, and some new competitors to the 7550/7750 come with OLED panels. It'd be nice to have more options panel-wise in general: OLED, high-refresh rate (144 Hz+), variable refresh rate, etc, especially in a professional system like this.
    2. Any idea if the RTX 6000 might be released for the Precision 7550/7750 at a higher power limit? Another competitor has a rather halo product, and it is the only notebook so far to feature it.
    Some notes:
    1. I'd also like to register my complaint about the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn key situation. This is really rather critical for software developers, and I hope a refresh is released to address this as quickly as possible.
    2. The improved thermals, as well as copper plating for the PCH and SSD, are welcome changes. I look forward to reviews of the notebook to see how much this has changed. Historically the CPU has run really hot (to the point of thermal-throttling) on these notebooks, and hopefully that has been addressed.

5. iketo

iketo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello @Dell-Mano_G,

Would you confirm which laptops will have the vapor champer, from the list XPS15, XPS 17, Precision 5550, Precision 5750, Precision 7550, and Precision 7750, please?
    you mentioned above that ONLY the 5750 would have a vapor chamber, but there is a video on youtube saying the XPS 17 has too

Will all the 17'' have a vapor chamber or only the 5750, as mentioned?

from the computer list XPS15, XPS 17, Precision 5550, Precision 5750, Precision 7550, and Precision 7750
    which ones will have the option to add processor xenon and 128GB of RAM, please?

And do you have any idea when those models will be released in the USA and in Canada too?

In summary, I need to buy a laptop as soon as possible, so not sure if I wait for the vapor chamber or buy one without it? How useful and relevant is the vapor chamber to cooling a laptop with a high configuration comparing with the new redesign cooling from New XPS 15?

Thank you very your answers, your feedbacks are being constructive

Clayton

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G is a Precision product manager, so it can be inferred that he was only talking about the Precision lineup.
    Only Precision systems will get Xeon CPU options. Only 7000-series Precisions will get 128GB RAM.

7. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Dell-Mano_G

Hi !
    I'd like to ask you few questions about precision 7550/7750.

-A)
    When we talk about notebooks, my understanding of g-sync technology is that it's not only the display that must be "g-sync ready" but it's more like a "laptop certification" as a "whole", which includes certified motherboard and certified gpu.

To this purpose i've found the following link:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-in/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/g-sync-hdr-requirements/

where the following has been reported:
    So there is no mention of any nvidia quadro gpu and as for now i've never seen any mobile workstation with g-sync technology.
    According to your knowledge and experience, do you know if quadro gpus (mobile and/or desktop versions) support such feature ?

-B)
    Can you be more precise about "higher concurrent power supported between the CPU & GPU" ?
    What is it about ?

Have you also improved the thermal paste compound used on both cpu and gpu compared to past precision mobile versions ?
    May i also ask you what type (brand) of thermal paste will dell use on 7550/7750 ?
    Will Dell ever consider using liquid metal on such laptops ?

-C)
    A common problem on 7540/7740 is cpu thermal throttling while under load on stock voltage settings.
    Lots of 7540/7740 owners have successfully reported to have mitigated such issue by using third part softwares like "throttlestop" or "intel xtu" to undervolt intel cpus in order to have better cpu temps and reach higher turbo frequencies.

BIOS version 1.8.2 has introduced an Intel fix for "plundervolt" vulnerability (INTEL-SA-00289 (CVE-2019-11157)) which has unfortunately pulled off the undervolt feature.

How will Dell address this intel fix on upcoming 7550/7750 ?
    Will it be included from the first bios version or added later on ?

-D)
    The following leaked data sheets report 720p/30fps webcam for both 7550 and 7750
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/News/_nc3/Precision7550_data_sheet.jpg
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/News/_nc3/Precision7750_data_sheet.JPG

Why is Dell just only offering such camera quality in a 2020 professional grade laptop ?
    I don't know if are there any 4k webcam that may fit inside 7550/7750 chassis but on this year's models i would have expected at least a 1080p/30fps webcam as an upgrade option from the standard 720p one, just like HP did last year on both zbook 15 g6 and 17 g6, direct competitors of Dell Precision 7540/7740.
    Do you think Dell will ever consider to improve this aspect maybe already on 7550/7750 later on ?

I also agree with aaron44126 and ionising_radiation about better keyboard layout and displays with higher refresh rates. Moreover i'd like to see more usb-a ports (at least 1 on the back or on the left side, useful for those who use a corded mouse and are right handed).

Hope in your opinions !

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  8. DimaV83

DimaV83 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And this is really much appreciated, as having a middle button significantly helps with CAD/3D applications (especially when we try to use 3DConnexion mice with physical middle button).

In terms of keyboard - fully agree with other people complaining about the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn key situation. (good keyboard, with concave keys, a pleasant click and sufficient travel distance, is really an important part of a working tool)

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    10th Gen Intel CPUs do NOT support undervolting unless the bios specifically allows it. Dell doesn't include any options so there will be no undervolting at all...

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    So instead of fixing the underlying vulnerability, Intel took the easy way out, disabled the foremost method of reducing load temperatures on a notebook, and called it a day. I honestly don't know why I expected anything else, given that Comet Lake is essentially 8 Skylake cores anyway.

These AMD-powered Precisions can't come fast enough, and I really hope Dell takes our preferences into account for their CPU options next year. (@Dell-Mano_G, hope you're listening in).

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    ssnova703, relobe, Gomos and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.