The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M4600 Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by afhstingray, May 26, 2011.

1. bimmerdriver

bimmerdriver Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just got my M4600 and so far I'm very happy with it. I'm moving off an HP EliteBook 8540W. Glad to see it go. Haven't been happy with HP support at all and I am hopefully off HP for good. The M4600 is a bit larger, but I'm okay with the size.

I'm updating the drivers and trying to remove as much of the bloatware as possible. I have some questions.

Do the Intel CC, AMT and RST serve any useful purpose? If I remove them, will it cause any problems?

Can I remove the C:\Apps, C:\Dell and C:\Drivers folders?

The computer has a standard fingerprint reader (not FIPS). Dell Data Protection Access is installed. I noticed there is an update for this application, as well as the ControlVault application. What is the point of the ControlVault application? The installation instructions seem to be complicated but vague. If you have installed either or both of these updates, did you have any problems?

On the Intel Driver Update website, there is a newer driver for the raid controller. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance.

2. murkyl

murkyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In total do you have 2 or 3 128 GB drives in the configuration you want? If you only have 2, than RAID 5 won't work since you need at least 3 drives. Also is your goal to just have a single large volume or are you actually looking for protection against 1 of the SSD drives failing?

3. p51boy1

p51boy1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I would have 3 drives. One mSATA, one in the 2.5inch drive slot on the right side, and the other drive would replace my dvd drive which I never use. At least that's the plan.

4. murkyl

murkyl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you looking to get 1 large volume or are you looking for actual redundancy against a failure in one of the SSDs?

5. p51boy1

p51boy1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Redundancy, otherwise I would run the system as raid 0.

6. mcharkowski

mcharkowski Newbie

Reputations:
    I couldn't find anything in the search (of course I can never find anything on the search on this site, fsr), but I'm sure someone has asked this question before.

Are there any plans for a slice for the M4600 or a slice designed for a different dell (E6520?) that would work on the M4600?

I've got the IPS screen, which is wonderful, but the 3-hour battery life is not. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

7. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have not been able to get my CPU to turbo higher than its rated frequency. I've tried running a few single threaded apps, and I can't get the CPU to go higher than 2.2 ghz (I have the M4600 with a 2720qm, which is a 2.2 ghz processor that should be able to turbo to 3.3 ghz). I'm plugged in when testing, and I recently upgraded to the A05 bios.

I'm using Intel's Turbo Boost Technology monitor to check the turbo frequency, and Intel BurnTest with a single thread. Any suggestions? (I wonder if the new A05 bios changed the turbo mode?)

EDIT: I am able to enable turbo mode if I use throttlestop, but I don't think that should be necessary? (ThrottleStop info here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...arket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html)

8. evovii

evovii Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    I am going to order the same DP to DVI adapter. Hopefully it will solve the problem. Let me know how things work out.

9. evovii

evovii Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    I am going to order the same DP to DVI adapter. Hopefully it will solve the problem. Let me know how things work out.

10. fireball99

fireball99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just a quick update i put a wd10jpvt (wd 1tb 9.5mm) drive into the new modulus caddy that i had ordered a while back. fits but the drive is not screwed into the caddy . only held in by the power and sata connector.

there is a little space above the drive in the caddy holder so theoretically could dislodge itself out. another negative of the caddy is that it is not screwed in either like the dvd drive. so the whole caddy could come out with some force as it is also held in by the sata and power connector.

might be easier if i posted a picture but too lazy atm.

chucked in 4gb x2 1600 ram whilst i was at it..
    now waiting for the 120gb msata drive to get here . once that gets here i'll put the 1tb back into the 2.5in slot and put the dvd drive back