The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M6600 IPS Display DIY Upgrade/Conversion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_RC-TEK

Scott_RC-TEK Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After searching high and low for the latest and complete part numbers, I have been able to upgrade/convert multiple M6600 systems over to IPS based displays. Below is a parts diagram I produced that will clearly show the main components needed to do it yourself. I have also listed some notes, which are:

A. This upgrade/conversion can cost as little as $300 or as much as $1000 depending on where you buy from. Either way, you will need to go through Dell USA to get the proprietary eDP to eDP/LVDS interposer card (currently US$20, but with a one month lead time).

B. The needed LCD interconnect cables are not individually specified or sold parts. They are in fact part of the LCD back cover assembly [772MN] so that single part number will cover multiple items.

C. The stock [right side] LCD mounting bracket used on the M6600 will not work with the IPS solution since the display panel mounting holes are pushed up about 3mm to compensate for the thicker LCD back cover assembly.

D. Be sure to order the special LCD bezel barrel fasteners and their [sticker] covers, which are all sold separately and not part of the plastic bezel assembly [3T52W].

E. It is advised to buy or nicely request (6) H1M5R [Screw,M2X3,Flat Pan Head,Machine Screw,Black Oxide] fasteners so you have them handy if needed during the upgrade/conversion process.

Observations:
    The IPS display offers some beautiful colors and sharpness, but there are two small concerns I am currently investigating –

1. The LG LP173WF3 panel used makes a small high frequency noise when the backlight circuit is powered ON. This noise is very low when the systems are reassembled and when plugged in. However, the noise does become easier to catch when the systems are running on battery power and/or when the LCD brightness is on a high setting. I have tested multiple LG panels on multiple M6600 systems and they all display this same high frequency noise that I suspect is a leaky DC signal being amplified by the LCD backlight control logic. Any others with the IPS displays in their M6600 are welcomed to chime in a let me know if your system produces the same noise.

2. The bottom right corner/quadrant of every display tested so far (all legitimate Dell display panels – not “compatible” panels) show a very slight but evident bluish hue that is a little annoying. At first I thought I may be going a little koo-koo, but this slight polarization issue seems to be [again] on every panel tested. Anyone else see this?

At any rate, I like the end result of the IPS upgrade/conversion and would LOVE the final outcome if/when I can get these two concerns resolved.

Have fun and be safe!

[​IMG]

CLASSIF1ED, ygohome, xsscx and 2 others like this.
  2. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great write up, = Rep

Cheers

3. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    $ 300 decisions decsions

A 27" Korean IPS vs IPS on the go. By the way Scrott, where you get the IPS panel?

4. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Most came from Dell @ $509, but I purchased one here that was identicle to Dell's; including the Dell factory sticker, but for much less ($133 + $25 no dead pixel guarantee fee + shipping).

Scott

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Awesome work bro, does this work for the M6700 too? Should be the same chassis?

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice upgrade! +1 Rep.

7. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Yes ;):cool:

Scott-

8. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Do the Part NJ5VH come only from dell? Btw, just notice this awesome guide have a critical spelling error ~~(try to search IPS in my subscribed thread and nothing come up ...)

9. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Good catch in regards to the typo! Will fix. :eek::eek:

Yes, so far, the only source for that right bracket is Dell.

Scott

10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Typo fixed. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.