The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M6600 IPS Display DIY Upgrade/Conversion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abel71

abel71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered the flowing parts:
    DP/N: 0772MN Back Cover with video cabled
    DP/N: 03T52W Bezel
    DP/N: 075V7G Interposer Board
    IPS RGB Panel LG LP173WF3

After installing the new panel it was not recognized by system. The panel and the interposer card are coming from Dell, however the panel is refurbished on.

My M6600 has NVIDIA Quadro 3000M and integrated Intel cards.

It is too pity, i spent a lot of money...what can be the reason?

Thanks

2. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Did you try disable optimus?

3. Scott_RC-TEK

Scott_RC-TEK Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Optimus is automatically disabled when the BIOS senses the use of the 10bit eDP interface.

What is the firmware ID of the LG panel you have and where did you get it? The Dell panels are (SL)(B1) and different than the HP variants.

Did you confirm proper connection between the system board cable, interposer card, LVDS cable, and both IPS panel interconnects?

Scott-

[​IMG]

4. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Btw, do you have to be owner of dell product/machine to order parts?

5. Dysprositos

Dysprositos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just a note, I've used a few 8760W Dreamcolor panels (LP173WF3-SLB1/2/3/) and had the same noise issues described (see http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/637811-dreamcolor-panel-noise.html), it's fairly annoying on battery but pretty much unhearable on AC even in a completely quiet environment, good thing I don't have to use the unit on battery much.

HP pretty much refused to admit the issue existed although after pressing them on it for one unit, they did replace the monitor and the panel was slightly better in that on the previous unit I could hear the noise on AC a little too. All in all I've been through a lot of 8760W DC2's which use the same panel as the M6600 and the issue exists on all of them.

Does anybody know if this gen's M6700 or 8770W also suffer from this issue?

jimbo007 likes this.
  6. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Technically, no. If they ask for a service tag number, just tell them it is not available but you are sure the part you need is correct.

Great info. Thanks for confirming. I believe the M6700 is the same since that section of the system remains the same as the M6600.

Scott

7. Dysprositos

Dysprositos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is that confirmed? i.e. has somebody actually opened up an M6700 with Premiercolor and checked the LG part no. on the back? I think Panelook (LG Display LP173WF3-SLB1 Overview - Panelook.com) reports the LP173WF3 panels as being discontinued from manufacture, so perhaps there has been some update, although to be fair I can't know how reliable this info is.

8. abel71

Reputations:
    The ID is the same as on your picture only difference is "01T0" instead of "01E6". I checked several times the connections between the system board and interposer card and the panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    What exactly is the panel doing when you power ON?
    What video card and processor are you using?

Scott-

10. abel71

Reputations:
    The panel is doing absolutely nothing, it is black as when powered off. I have to say that i power on the system after the panel is connected with eDP header but no keyboard connected and DVD installed.

The processor is Intel Core I7-2640M (2.80GHz, 4MB cache, Dual Core), the video card is NVIDIA Quadro 3000M with 2GB GDDR5. Now i am thinking what part can be the cause of the problem: video card, video header, cables, interposer card or the panel??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.