The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M6600 IPS Display DIY Upgrade/Conversion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abel71

abel71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered parts for IPS upgrade from different sources. From dell.com I ordered the IPS panel (LG 17.3" LP173WF3 (SL)(B1) FHD IPS RGB LED SCREEN). But it was defective and I ordered another from lcds4less.com (thank to Scott for the reference). I paid 3 time lees than to Dell and got superb IPS panel in it works grate. I ordered the back cover with video cables (D/PN:772MN Assembly, Cover, Back, IPS RGB MODEL,M6600) from parts-people.com. And the LCD bezel (D/PN:3T52W LCD Bezel, Liquid Crystal Display,CMRA+MIC,M6600) I ordered from impactcomputers.com. All these vendors do not ship internationally. You can sign up at bongous.com and get virtual US address and then ask vendors to ship to that virtual address. Then bongous.com will ship items to your international address.
    The interposer card I ordered from local (non US) Dell representative.
    Still I have no D/PN:NJ5VH LCD mounting bracket and D/PN:1P2HK Cover,Screw,Liquid Crystal Display,M4600/M6600. If Scott has spare one I will be glad to get it.

2. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Does it have tint issue? Ordered everything parts but the screen

3. abel71

Reputations:
    The screen that I got from Dell simply doesn't do anything, it is black when the laptop is on. And the one that i get from lcds4less.com is surprisingly good.

4. Scott_RC-TEK

Scott_RC-TEK Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not sure if the mod would work since I do not have a M6500 to play with, but can share my M6600 info with you.

Below is a pic of the system board video headers. I cannot confirm if the M6500 LCD assembly hinges would work on the M6600/M6700, but look for the dimensions and I will look as well.

The main issue I see happening is making sure the LCD housing fits properly and lines up with the bottom section of the system once closed. The 4:3 aspect ratio displays are physicaly different in size and shape than the 16:9 aspect ratio displays. Because of this, the bezel will also be different.

Scott

[​IMG]

5. abel71

Reputations:
    M6600 LCD Dimensions: 15.5" x 9.25", Screen Size: 17.3"
    M6500 LCD Dimensions: 15" x 9.675", Screen Size:17"

6. pterodactilo

pterodactilo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to diy my M4600 from standard WLED to IPS? What are the P/N of needed parts? Thanks in advance.

7. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    just got most of the part orders, but 772mn is missing second cable and the 3t52w is bended in the side zzz(ebay seller)

Can't seem to find a way to fit the bracket to the back lid though Oo. Mine look kind of different compare to scotts ...? but the label say NJ5VH

8. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had 5 M6600 IPS panels and the first 4 had the tint really badly - on any coloured background you could see it, and on pure white it extended maybe 3 - 4 inches into the screen.

On the 5th panel it's barely noticeable. Dell are swapping the whole computer for an M6700 due to a separate issue so really hoping I get a good panel with it.....

9. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Wondering if the touchscreen bezel is same as the RGB IPS bezel (both have screw holes), since parts-people do not carry the 3T52W.

Google and bokeh did the job, seem like they are different zzz.

10. jack574

jack574 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry if this has been covered already, but does the M6700 use the same panel as the M6600?

Could I take the IPS panel from my old M6600 and use it to replace the IPS panel in my new M6700? The reason I ask is that my M6600 panel has hardly any corner tint, and I'm worried that my new M6700 IPS panel will have worse tint.....

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.