The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M6600 IPS Display DIY Upgrade/Conversion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Got all the parts, but the new lcd mounting bracket look different than stock and doesnt fit ~~ any one have a picture of the NJ5VH. The bracket have label on it saying NJ5VH though

Edit: the order sheet I have say Bracket,Right,Metal,Liquid Crystal Display,Red/Green/Blue,M6700, So I guess it is right, but I have no clue how to install it T.T

Edit:2 I just check 6700 manual and seem like the bracket is different then 6600.. goona try contact dell and see if they have the one for 6600

Edit 3: tried dell chat, the representative have absolutely no clue and keep asking me to purchase the normal one~~ would call be better?

2. Scott_RC-TEK

Scott_RC-TEK Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, the display panels are the same.

Scott-

3. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Here is a pic showing the two different types of bracket.

To confirm, tell them:

A. The M6600/6700 only needs ONE LCD bracket - which goes on the right side of the LCD panel.
    B. The IPS LCD mounting holes are HIGHER (approx. 5mm) than the standard LCD mounting holes. This why there are "ear holes" on the top side of the IPS bracket.
    C: The bracket is stamped "RGB".
    D. Make them research the part number and they will see (learn) what the situation is.

Hope this helps,
    Scott

[​IMG]

4. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Thanks Scrott
    Finally did it, not sure if the bracket can be exchange /returned, planning just to mod the M6700 if calling dell doesn't work out. The bracket is not cheap ~~ for just a piece of metal.

A few points about the IPS
    -It is HEAVY, i mean the m6600 is heavy, with the IPS it get heavier.
    -It buzz/squeak, worse than the u2711.

Alternate way to get it working if you don't have the bracket/screw:
    -Sit some foam material behind right side of the screen, tape it well and the foam will push it up (I did'nt have tool to mod the 6700 bracket with me)
    -You can use some 2.5x 6/8 (Not sure which one I had on hand) screw instead of the "dell" screw.

Now, is it worth it ? Yes and No depending on situation.
    For me there is 2 main thing that make it worth it.
    1. I got the base machine @ bargain price.
    2 I have fun doing it.

Consider Dell is only charging 272 for upgrade on 6700, I personally would say sell off what you have and get a 6700 if IPS is desired.

Edit: The panel I got seem to be not that great, on white background the tint issue is pretty dramatic, the left is very orange and right is very blue...
    ~~ backlit bleed a bit, Maybe I pushed the side a bit when installing.

Edit2: P/N 0FFKV
    BRACKET..., RIGHT..., METAL..., LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY..., RED/GREEN/BLUE..., M6600

I blame Scott.! Going to see Dell still have it. and try to get a screen exchange as well.

Is the buzz/squeak louder than fan on yours? Cause mine is killing me a bit~~ But everything look so pretty using premium color with aRGB preset.

5. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    I will double check my part #'s, but the listed # in my photo on the first page should be correct unless Dell recently changed something.

I will also look into your part #. Thanks for the info.

Scott-

6. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    rcb post his part list of his machine in owner thread, I got it from there.

It is indeed better than u2711 if not for the color tint issue.

7. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    Back on the Dell "wait" list,
    For some reason I thought it was $10+ , just realize it is not...

Edit: the Representative keep asking me to check retailers is far beyond my understanding...

8. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    It looks like his is the M6600 part number and the one I show in the photo is the M6700 part number. Can you take a pic and show me how your's is different since they should be the same physical hardware.

Scott

9. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the m6700 manual, it show the bracket use 2 screw on the side(screw to mount bracket) aswell.

[​IMG]

Wonder if we can use the 6700 assembly and get a flat open, though the parts is awesome expensive ~.

Attached Files:

10. bdp629

bdp629 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have got most of the parts ready too, but the little PCB.. Anyone here has one for sale? :)

And, looking at the image above, it looks like we need two metal bracket(Nj5VH) for holding the panel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.