The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision M6600 IPS Display DIY Upgrade/Conversion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abel71

abel71 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did several tests here is the summary with unchecked Optimus:
    1. disconnected the native panel from LVDS, connected IPS panel to the eDP header and an external display to external video port and powered on the system. System recognized 2 monitors but the IPS monitor still is black. On the external monitor I see that the display resolution is 640x480 and the refresh rate is 75Hz (while in case of native panel the refresh rate was 60Hz and resolution 1920x1080).
    [​IMG]

2. Disconnected the IPS panel from the secondary video cable. The eDP port still is connected to the interposer card. Powered on and the system again recognized 2 monitors!! Again on the external monitor I see that the display resolution is 640x480 and the refresh rate is 75Hz.
    [​IMG]

3. Disconnected the interposer card from the eDP port. Powered on and the system. Only external monitor was recognized by system and the display resolution is 1920x1080 and the refresh rate is 60Hz.

4. Can I conclude that the interposer card is failed?

Attached Files:

2. Scott_RC-TEK

Scott_RC-TEK Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm... very hard to isolate the problem remotely.

Suspected items in the order of probability -
    1. LCD
    2. Interconnect cable between the interposer and the LCD
    3. Interconnect cable between the interposer and the system board
    4. The interposer card itself.
    5. The system board.

What happens when NO int/ext monitor is connected? Do you hear 5 beeps?

Have to run the system diagnostics with ONLY the IPS panel installed (you need to reconnect the keyboard)?

Have you tested the HDMI out port to confirm it is functional? This is tied to the eDP section of the system board and will address #5.

Where did you buy the parts? Direct from Dell or various sources? Any warranty options?

Re: BIOS
    When connected to a standard display or the stock LCD, have you made sure the Optimus option is there and if so have you manually disabled it? This is always the first step before changing display panels. Likewise, once the system senses a 10bit display on the eDP, the option to disable (or even show) the Optimus option is disabled. There is a small chance a BIOS bug could be keeping the video in Optimus mode even if the system sees the IPS screen; simply for the fact it wasn't disabled and applied/saved before a power cycle and the hardware change. This would also explain the chaos of multiple displays and funky resolution; even though it is unlikely.

If you were local to San Diego, I would invite you over and get it going for you since I have extra parts, but I hope some of this remote info helps.

Scott-

3. abel71

Reputations:
    Thank you Scott!
    The HDMI port and it is working I checked it with external display. When no any display connected there is no any beep pattern after power on, and the system continues to boot. With no any panel connected system diagnostic gives error message LCD EDID Unable to access EDID EEPROM. The same error message comes when IPS panel is connected to the eDP port.
    I checked the Optimus status, it was unchecked for sure.
    I bought the IPS panel and interposer card from Dell and the LCD back cover assembly with cables from parts-people.com.
    Probably it is time to conclude that the panel is damaged and to contact Dell to return it. And to order new one from the site you mentioned - lcds4less.com.

4. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Do this if you have the time:
    Remove the CMOS battery and press the power button for 30-35 seconds to hard reset the system. Leave the CMOS and system battery disconnected for at least 15 minutes before reconnecting. Likewise, leave the system unplugged to AC power, which I am sure you already know.

Carefully remove and reseat the cables one more time; making sure there are no bent pins, damaged contacts, or loose/dislodged ribbon cable leads. Insure each cable is in fact seated ALL the way, but do not push/pull too hard. Also reconnect your keyboard and try to get the system reassembled as much as possible without limiting your ability to test.

Now try this before seeking parts replacement –
    Press and hold the “D” key while turning ON the system. Do you see any full color screens cycling after a few seconds?

Also, did the eDP to interposer cable come with the LCD backing assembly or did you get it separately? Typically it is not included with the LCD backing assembly – only the interposer to dual LVDS cable for the LCD panel is usually included. I ask because the error code you report is more commonly a ribbon cable related issue.

Scott-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. abel71

Reputations:
    Today the new panel arrived (ordered from lcds4less.com - Dell 4259G Notebook Screen - 17.3, Full-HD, LED, Matte). Installed and it works fine.

6. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Glad to read it was suspect #1 and a quick fix.

Enjoy-
    Scott

7. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    What is the best way to ensure to get the PCB board when it is available? I ordered the bracket and bezel, where the board is back-ordered. Got a email/quote saying it is back, but it have no stock when I contact them back ...

8. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    I have an extra new one I can sell you if you want it. $33 shipped within the USA.

Just PM me.

Scott-

[​IMG]

9. Lnd27

Lnd27 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    good guide.pity that i found it now and installed auo lcd early.

i have a question:
    how can i order parts from dell?
    (i am international)

10. JMLtime

JMLtime Newbie

Reputations:
    I am working on another project I am committed to upgrading/downgrading my m6600 FHD display to the older m6(5)00 WUXGA 1200p I was wondering if you know if the connectors are 40pin on the m6600 unit itself and if user faceing bezel holes are the same or how i could find this information out I'm vary good working with Fiberglas/Fabrication and modification but I'm having problems figuring out what the first step would be or if i might run into hugh hurdels. I was thinking that ordering the m6500 1200p display might be or maybe the m6500 bezel don't know yet I have alot of experice with micro devices just not notebooks, I might even have to install stop devices so the screen dosent get scratched buy the keys, could you please help i have read so much on this subject and havent found anybody with as much experience with either of these machines more then you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.