The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There's definitely thermal headroom to push the GPU higher than 100W. Quadro M5000M has a hard cap of 100W and AFAIK there's no way around it. Quadro P5000 will run higher than 100W, but when it is drawing that much power it ends up starving the CPU of power and throttling it. (I believe that this has been observed in both M6700 and M6800.)

2. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Speaking of thermal headroom:
    [​IMG]

3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yeah, not quite so much on the CPU. I nudge over 100 when gaming sometimes.

4. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    This is with power limits disabled and y-cruncher so it hitting 104C isn't that strange.

5. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Never did more than 60W on my 3920XM running at 4.2GHz on prime95 which was the "limit" (80C all core) of the cooling for substained load with fan at 100% and liquid metal on the CPU.

6. thock

thock Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just want to verify that the webcam on these is pretty crap. I never really used it for work, but now that I've repurposed the machine, I'm finding that I want to use the webcam.

I do plan on buying an external one, but I just want to make sure I'm not nuts about the internal one. It's pretty grainy and it appears as though there is no way to focus it.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    This is indeed the case, it only works "well" if you are in a very well-lit environment.
    (...Newer Precision systems aren't any better, really, they seem to use cheap webcams across the board.)

8. thock

thock Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks, Aaron!

9. CLASSIF1ED

Reputations:
    god damn Dutch Customs needs to hurry the F up with my M6700, apparently it's been stuck there since Dec 31th.

10. jbuildit

jbuildit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've always wanted to install a Coral TPU in the extra half-size mini PCIe slot next to the WiFi card (The "Pink Panther" slot, per Dell's schematics). I've seen plenty of guides on improving dodgy laptop webcam quality but using Edge acceleration to clean up the image is one of the cooler applications. If only they were ever in stock...