The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Haven't tried it myself but the user who did reported that no vBIOS finagling was necessary at all. Here's a thread about it working in the M6700. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...dia-turing-rtx-card-discussion-thread.833140/

This is sounding like it could be a motherboard issue to me.

ruboj likes this.
  2. Zero 1

Zero 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    ...Or stick a caddy in the optical drive bay to use that SATA connector to connect a standard 2.5" drive. (I think it is SATA-2 and not SATA-3 though.)

4. ruboj

ruboj Newbie

Reputations:
  5. Troika

Troika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You can have a total of four drives on the M6800. Two 2.5" slots that are intended for storage use. There's the optical drive that can be swapped out for a 2.5" slot adapter and there's the mSATA port you can put a SSD in. I have a 512GB Samsung 850 Evo in the mSATA slot, a 500GB Team Group SSD in the optical slot and two 1TB Mushkin RAW Drives in raid 0 in the two normal slots. All my games and other storage is on the 2TB Array, the mSATA is my Windows 7 drive and the other 500GB drive is my Windows 10 drive, mainly as a backup incase my Windows 7 gets oofed for any reason. I keep weekly drive images on my central server so its no big deal to just swap in a new drive and clone the backup image.

6. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    SO i've got a couple questions for you. I was able to snag a m6800 for a decent price. Has a i7 4810mq.
    1. From what I understand you can't over clock cpu's with the m6800. So what is the point(if any) of upgrading to something like the 4940mx? Just more heat and thermal throttling due to the increased 57w tdp?
    2. I seem to recall reading somewhere that if you don't use a genuine DELL charger it doesnt seem to play nicely and will throttle your cpu or something of the matter? Trying to decide if I need to buy a genuine 240w adapter psu or if I can use a knock off generic one.

7. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so besides the optical drive(which sounds like it runs at sata2) is every other storage medium sata 3 ?

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    1. Basically yes, you will get (marginally) higher performance due to the higher clock speeds until it thermal throttles and then it'll be basically the same as any other quad-core Haswell CPU. (Not that it would really be that great if you could overclock? You'd face the same thermal limitations. I do believe you can undervolt the CPU though which could help a bit.)
    2. You need a 240W adapter and it needs to correctly report its 240W capability to the system. Dell power adapters have an extra pin inside the barrel connector to handle power reporting data exchange between the brick and the motherboard. Third-party adapters should work if they implement this correctly. (I myself have never tried one. You can find genuine PA-9E at not too bad prices on eBay.)

I believe eSATA is also SATA-2. The three internal ports are SATA-3. (Primary 2.5", secondary 2.5", mSATA.)

9. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What up guys. Anyone using liquid metal on cpu/gpu with your m6800s?

10. VettelStark91

VettelStark91 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, hoping everybody is doing great. I have a Dell M6800 currently with a GPU GTX 980M and I've done a search about M6800 getting the GTX 1060 Installed but I was only able to find one post on this site but couldn't reach out to that person was trying to do the setup. Does anyone know what is required to get the GTX 1060 setup on the M6800? I know at least that by Hardware size it is compatible same as for power consumption. I also know that Pascal would require eDP display connection type and my M6800 does have eDP.

Thank you in advance