The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M6800 Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by billxt95, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    See: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/trials-and-tribulations-installing-a-1070-in-a-m6800.828000/
    Not likely to work out because of Pascal vBIOS issues with these systems (unless you're using Linux). It will BSOD at boot every time and requires a fair amount of work to work around.

2. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    also..... is there anyone here that might be able to answer questions regarding throttle stop and the m6800? The best i've been able to get under volting is 3ghz on all cores when stress testing at 100%. According to throttle report it says its pulling 36w. The cpu is rated at 47w. This is with a i7 4810mq processor. I also noticed I am getting an edp current thing thats flashing red. I have a k3100m right now for graphics in optimus mode so its only using it when there is graphics intensive things otherwise its using the built in intel hd 4600. My psu is a dell 180w that came with the machine when I bought it. Do I need to up my power supply? Doesnt seem like its a power limit or a thermal limit I am reaching. I did nptice that the battery in my m6800 looks like a knock off brand and it says model : m6600. I seem to recall reading something about dell machines being picky with psu and battery? However, I am not certain that this is whats causing the issue

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    P5000 works with an engineering sample vBIOS flashed on. We don't have any working vBIOS for GeForce cards.

You need a 240W power supply to avoid throttling. Dell is rather conservative with throttling with an underpowered PSU and all M6800's shipped with 240W PSUs. (Battery shouldn't matter, M6600-M6800 are all cross-compatible. The system can only draw 100W from the battery though, it will definitely throttle some if there is no PSU connected.)

Defeatz likes this.
  5. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So this is with the power supply connected. On battery power its even worse. So just to clarify before I hop on ebay and buy a 240w power supply, from what you know and understand, the only weirdly specific issue people have encountered from off brand things is related specific to the psu not the battery? This psu that came with my m6800 is dell branded but it does say its only 180w. Right now when I do a stress test in throttle stop, it shows all cores running 100% and it shows 3ghz with a max power draw of 36.3w. Heat is actually okay for the moment. With -85mv I am getting mid 70s on full load.

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I actually haven't heard much about off-brand batteries, but you can always take the battery out of the equation by just disconnecting it. Off-brand PSUs can be hit-and-miss. If they properly report their power capacity and actually deliver on it then they "should" be fine. (I've never tried to use one. Genuine ones do not cost that much on eBay.) But yes, I can say that the system will throttle with a 180W PSU even if it doesn't seem to even be getting close to using that much power.

7. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip on just trying with the laptop plugged in. I didn't even think of just removing the battery. Sure enough, on load, I am sitting at about 3ghz with 35-36w. So with future plans to drop in that 980m , would it be worth picking up one of those 330w psu everybody talks about or is that just overkill? (In terms of having enough power for the cpu and gpu on full load)

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    M6800 will not benefit from a 330W PSU (over 240W). 980M has a hard power cap of around 100W.

9. Defeatz

Defeatz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have been playing with the idea of trying to put up a quadro p5000(seems to be pretty on par with a gtx 1080) I do have a couple questions.....
    1. Is there any issues with driver support? Like for newer operating systems such as win 10 or 11? And then same with playing any newer game titles, any issues there?
    2. What is a reasonable cost for those things? I seen a couple sellers on ebay selling them and one guy is asking 1000$ and the other guy is asking like 800$ lol.

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Driver support should be fine. You will have to do an INF mod to get the driver to install (...like with any "unsupported" NVIDIA GPU upgrade) and some game anti-cheat/anti-piracy/DRM software will not be happy about that. Cost is definitely expensive. You can try "Make an offer" on eBay to get it a bit cheaper than the asking price. Whether it actually will work well is also hit-or-miss. I had to get rid of mine because it would BSOD out of the blue every few days in my M6700. @JEAMN had a similar issue with the GeForce 1070 in Precision M6800 that he got working as I recall. (Same thread I linked before.) Seemed to work well for @DynamiteZerg, though. If you have an LVDS system you will have to run with Optimus enabled. 980M or Quadro M5000M is a safer bet.

Defeatz likes this.