The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. jkrzyszt

jkrzyszt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    after the recent problems with the Radeon WX4150, I bought a Quadro M1200 card.
    Unfortunately, I have a problem with her again and I conclude that there is a problem with the laptop.
    The GPU and memory clock is not blocked anyway the card is still slower than the integrated HD630

In the Shark GPU, I am wondering why the GPU usage is 100% and the memory is only 2.5%. Could there be a problem because the system is somehow blocking the use of dedicated GPU RAM memory and using normal RAM memory.

.[​IMG]

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not sure what you expect to see here? Furmark stresses the GPU core but uses barely any memory so this looks normal. Try firing up a game or benchmark that stores a lot of textures in vRAM and you should see the memory usage increase.

If you think you're not getting the performance that you should, check to make extra sure that your apps are using the dGPU and not the iGPU.

3. jkrzyszt

Reputations:
    Performance of HD630
    [​IMG]

Performance of Quadro M1200
    [​IMG]

Any suggestion what check next?

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    In NVIDIA control panel, select "Desktop → Display GPU Icon in Notification Area" from the menu. This will put an icon in the system tray that lights up when the dGPU is active. Make sure that it lights up when you run 3DMark or whatever. (It's easy to make a mistake with the INF mod which will cause Optimus to never activate, in which case the icon will stay dim/gray.)

Alternatively, go to BIOS setup and turn off graphics switching and see if that makes a performance difference.

5. jkrzyszt

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

This is what it looks like when I turned off the card integrated in the BIOS. Only Quadro card works.
    In addition, I took out the batteries to leave only the AC power, also unchanged.
    The next step I want to do is reinstall Windows, but recently with the Radeon GPU it hasn't worked.

6. jkrzyszt

Reputations:
    Do I should to do something like a hard reset when replacing a graphics card or other key element?
    Maybe there is a problem?
    Is there a trick that needs to be applied in Dell after replacing compnent?

I find some information about resetting the RTC, unfortunately it didn't help.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I have never heard of an issue like this so I do not know what else to suggest...
    I've done multiple graphics card swaps in my Precision M6700 and never had to "reset" anything, nor have I ever heard of anyone else who had to "reset" anything after a swap in a different Precision system.

8. jkrzyszt

Reputations:
    I have two ssd hard drives in this laptop. On one I installed a fresh new OS Windows with Dell recovery pendrive.
    I have installed all the necessary drivers. All devices in the device manager are recognized and working.

All energy related settings are set to maximum performance. That didn't change anything, the Quadro card is still less efficient than the integrated HD630.
    I bet there is a hardware problem, I have eliminated the software by reinstalling the new system.
    I don't have the strength for this crap anymore, like Dell Precision is a great workstation but neither Radeon nor Quadro are able to work properly.

Can anyone advise me what else can I check?

9. jkrzyszt

Reputations:
    After today's situation, I don't know where to look for the reason. Today I managed to find a situation where Quadro started to work at full speed without any reason and after about 1 minute of work with good efficiency it slowed down. At that time, I did not change any settings, did not restart the operating system, did not disconnect the power supply, I just clicked the mouse to make print screenshots of this situation.
    It works on two monitors, that's why the screens are so wide, but when working only on a laptop without a docking station, this situation also happened to me, so I do not combine the type of display with work efficiency.

Below 3 print screens:
    No.1 card works with full speed, FPS in Furmark around 38FPS, GPU load around 100%, power around 27W
    No.2 and 3 the card slowed down FPS around 16, GPU load around 100%, power around 18W.

Sorry for the chaotic screenshots, but I wanted to quickly capture the situation. The card temperature does not exceed 60 degrees Celsius.

While working well, PerfCap Reason is Pwr,
    but no PerfCap Reason is available at low performance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    ...What type of power supply do you have attached to this machine?
    Not sure why this didn't occur to me already. If you have less than 180W attached then I think that is the cause of your problem. Even if you do have a 180W, I would recommend swapping it out with a different one to see if that takes care of your problem. (I have had a couple of Delta-branded 240W PSUs go bad and that manifested itself in GPU throttling in my M6700.)