The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. jkrzyszt

jkrzyszt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a question for the Precision 7510 owner who installed the Radeon WX4150, did you have any problems with Radeon?
    I purchased and installed a Radeon WX4150 card for my Precion 7520. After mounting the card to my laptop and installing the drivers from AMD (version 20.q4 - https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/mobile-platforms / radeon-pro-wx-x100-mobile-series / radeon-pro-wx-4150), I have a problem with him.

The card is detected, it works and switches between integrated card, unfortunately it does not achieve performance.
    The GPU clock is at 214Mhz and not any Mhz more even if GPU is at 100%, memory clock is ok at 1500Mhz on stress, without stress somethimes memory clock 300Mhz.
    The card is from the DELL version (P/N V30XX number, GPU bios also ok, declare dell), checked on gpu-z.
    I know that there are also versions from the HP laptop (diffrent GPU BIOS) but my looks ok.

I have a motherboard bios ver. 1.18.1 (newest from dell), powered from AC input (i used original 185W and 240W Dell PSU).
    Something blocks the GPU to work faster, as a result of which the performance is worse than on the integrated Intel HD630 GPU (i take test in 3d mark and heaven benchmark).

I have one situation where the card turned up to 900 Mhz GPU clock (i run furmark stress test), it was happend when looking for the setting in the power plan, unfortunately after a while (about 15 seconds) it returned to 214Mhz, all the settings for the plan from AC input was set to max performance, This happend exactly when I changed the battery power plan to use max performance too beacuse i don't have better idea. This is weird beacuse I was working on the power supply in this moment.
    I tried to remove the batteries from the laptop and work only on AC input to eliminate the influence of the battery on the low clock GPU. Na change

I try diffrent driver (from the DELL website rew. 26.20.13028.2002_A07 and older version from Dell and from AMD too), when i make driver change i always delete old driver from DDU (driver display uninstall software).

I have no idea what can block the card, someone had similiar problems?

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  2. jkrzyszt

Reputations:
  3. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am also looking to upgrade the graphics card in my 7510 from the AMD W5170m to a WX 4150.

Currently on ebay the HP version of the card is considerably less than the Dell version (https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-L17822-...-/254569181977?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292). It doesn't come with the bracket for the heatsink.

Will this HP card work in the 7510 and can I use the bracket from my current card?

EDIT: I bought the HP card. I flashed it with the Dell WX 4150 VBIOS from http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-gpu-be-upgraded.792187/page-36#post-11037313, took off the heatsink bracket from my old graphics card and used it on the new one, and it all seems to work! My userbenchmark score went up from 12% to 16%.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  4. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have this problem under one specific configuration, which I'll detail below. I am using an HP card flashed to the Dell VBIOS, and everything looks the same as yours, except my card is only listed as a Radeon Pro WX series, with a device ID of 1002 67E8 - 1028 06D9. I'm using the same driver (the latest pro driver from AMD's site).

When I using my thunderbolt dock (Dell TB16) and external monitor, it looks like my GPU clock is locked at 214mhz, just like you. However, I'm actually only running it using the power from the TB dock, which is underpowered for the 7510 (it only supplies 130W). If I use just the laptop screen, or the laptop screen and either an HDMI or DisplayPort monitor plugged directly into the ports on the laptop, the GPU clock scales with the load (e.g. it goes up to 900 something in Furmark, dropping to about 700 if it gets too hot).

Also, as an aside, Dell has a newer BIOS - I'm running 1.21.3.

EDIT: Turns out my problem with my low GPU clock when docked was due to a lack of power -- when I connected a 180W adapter directly to the laptop as well, it worked fine.

If you use HWINFO, is your AC adapter rating correct in the Dell EC area of the sensors?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  5. jkrzyszt

Reputations:
    I checked that Dell correctly detects the power supply, it is ok in the sensors I have information about 185W.
    I reinstalled the OS, installed the latest drivers, the card still remains at 214Mhz,
    everything indicates that there is something wrong with it, most likely I will send it back to the seller for a return.

The card temperatures are ok at 214MHZ and the furmark stress-test does not exceed 61 degrees C. It is still far from the 85-90 degrees C limit. There is no longer any idea what could be wrong.
    MotherBoard Bios is the latest, GPU drivers were tested with the newest and older versions from DELL and AMD, always changed with DDU (dispal driver uninstall).

Is it possible to check with some program how the system controls the clock of the graphics card?
    Ie. is there a signal deciding which speed to choose depending on the load or temperature?
    Or information about the selected energy saving mode?

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In GPU-Z on the "sensors" tab, it reports a "perf cap reason" which will tell you if the card is throttling because of idle (not enough work to do), thermal, or power reasons.
    (At least this is the case with NVIDIA GPUs, I hardly ever use AMD GPUs.)
    However in your case I think that the card is "stuck" in a low clock speed because of some other reason and whatever GPU-Z reports is not going to be that useful.

7. jkrzyszt

Reputations:
    I can't find the "perf cap reason". You can write me more precisely where this option is, maybe it is not displayed in AMD cards?

[​IMG]

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yeah, thinking that maybe it is just showing up for NVIDIA cards then.
    [​IMG]

9. updowncharmstrange

updowncharmstrange Newbie

Reputations:
    Dell was out of stock on batteries for a Precision 7510 laptop. I ordered 2 supposedly lightly used ones off ebay. Same seller, both 91WH Type MFKVP. Both look similar to original. The bottom one however says 7.59AH and top 7.95AH. Original said 7.95AH. 7.95AH x 11.4V = 90.63Wh

7.59AH seems sketchy, but I'm willing to believe it could be the long life cycle one. Can anyone verify if 7.59AH is a guaranteed fake? Has anyone received one from Dell marked 7.59AH?

https://imgur.com/a/yIC2pLQ

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The "regular" battery and the long life cycle battery would have different part numbers.