The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Winger

Winger Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've made a mistake of creating a 7710 owner's thread. Stupid move. Asked the mods to remove it, they did. Simples.

2. PityOnU

PityOnU Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interested to see this thread. Was super excited to see the new design and what Dell would bring to the table. Was left incredibly disappointed after seeing the results. What the hell are they thinking!? That is NOT a professional grade laptop.
    1. CPU's are BGA and non-removable - i.e. if you ever have motherboard issues (as has happened previously with Precision laptops), get ready to shell out tons of cash. Also, buy what you want up front - no upgrades for you!
    2. Housing no longer looks like it's all aluminum (I could be wrong about that). It looks like only the outer edges are metal, and then everything else is plastic or carbon fiber. I've accidentally slammed shut a metal door onto my M4700 before - the door was damaged, not the laptop. I do not have the same confidence here.
    3. Horrible speaker placement. Seriously - what?
    4. Missing a ton of ports. I know USB 3.0 and HDMI are taking the world by storm, but where's the VGA, eSATA, full size DisplayPort, etc.? No ThunderBolt either?
    5. No optical drive. This is not a device for the ultrabook crowd. It's thick and heavy and huge. Why the hell is there no optical drive!?
    I cannot see any serious professional thinking this thing is worth the asking price. And I would definitely stay FAR away if I was purchasing for corporate.

You have made me very sad, Dell.

M.J.S. likes this.
  3. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just be thankful you're not waiting for an HP workstation class with Skylake as you would be waiting for a long, long time.

Pavel O likes this.
  4. johnny fear

johnny fear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As someone waiting to see what HP does with their workstations, that wait is getting annoying. May have to do a 7510 or P50 instead.

5. Comal

Comal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it's worth it to wait a little longer. From googling it seems the new HP will be called HP ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstations and there are configurations with the Skylake mobile Xeons. With 'Studio' in their names I think they must have some kind of 30-bit dispays and wide gamut.

6. scrlk

scrlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone if the 6 cell long life cycle battery is available to order with the 7510? If so, what is the capacity of the battery?

I want my battery to last 1000 cycles this time, not 300 like my M4800.

7. Meng Jin

Meng Jin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have placed an order for one 7510 from Dell US. I don't think long life cycle battery option is available at this point.

8. pcman2000

pcman2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. Skylake mobile is BGA only. There are no LGA Skylake mobile chips.
    2. Not sure how it's done on the 7510, but on the newer latitudes there's still a solid magnesium shell under all of the plastic. The soft touch plastic is arguably better as a palmrest material.
    3. Agreed 100%. I know that they're trying to keep a consistent design language but that choice is just stupid.
    4. It has thunderbolt, otherwise why would they release a thunderbolt dock? Agree on full size DP. Skylake has retired VGA support (the A-D converter simply isn't there afaik), and it only supports DVI, HDMI, DP and eDP. For NVIDIA Optimus or AMD Enduro, the video signal has to go through the Skylake iGPU. Good because VGA needs to die, but I understand some people still want it.
    5. Because then it would be thicker and heavier. I think the majority of people don't use optical drives (I certainly don't) and I'm very happy that both Dell and Lenovo (in their P50) have dropped optical drives from their 15" workstations and reduced their weights from the previous gen M4800 / W541 respectively.

9. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt is optional in the 7510 and 7710, and actually won't be available as an option to purchase until sometime in January.

10. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Where are you seeing that? I see where it says the Thunderbolt dock won't be available until January...