The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    summersun likes this.
  3. ctorange

ctorange Newbie

Reputations:
    If I want to transfer a boot drive from my desktop PC into my 7710, and have the 7710 boot from it, is there any setting(s) I need enabled in the bios to let this happen? Thanks.

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    For best chance of success, make sure that the disk controller mode is set to AHCI (not RAID) in the BIOS. Make sure that the boot mode (legacy or UEFI) matches the system that you are moving the drive from.

Otherwise, this should be pretty straightforward assuming that we are talking about Windows 10. It will detect that it's in a new PC and do a hardware discovery upon first boot. Then you'll want to check Windows Update and/or grab the appropriate drivers from Dell.

5. ctorange

ctorange Newbie

Reputations:
    That worked, thanks.

6. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, heck. I ordered and just received a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME SSD from amazon.

My problem was that my 7710 started freezing up, first when running a full windows defender scan, and then just randomly, for example with two browser windows open or when booting up. Then a couple times the 7710 after freezup wouldn't see the 950 Pro SSD at all, and then after a couple minutes all was fine and it booted right up.

Now I just removed the 950 Pro SSD from slot 3 and installed the 970 EVO Plus in that slot 3. Slot 4 is empty.

In bios under system information, with the 970 plus installed in slot 3 it says
    M.2 PCIE SSD-0 {none}
    M.2 PCIE SSD-1 {none}
    and the windows installer doesn't see a drive there. (mode is set to ahci not raid)

7. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you using the Samsung driver on the 7710? I have a 960 pro 1TB and 970 pro 1TB and back when I installed those I used the Samsung drive. On my 7760 just using the windows driver. All ACHI.

I am not sure of the boot issue. But if it is not seen there then I assume windows will not see it.

Also check it has the latest firmware. My 970 Evo plus I just got for my 7760 came with the latest firmware.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Huh. Could it be a motherboard issue? Did you try it in the other slot? If it was installed/seated properly then there should not be an issue with it showing up.

You're right — If the drive doesn't show up in BIOS then it's not going to show up to Windows.

(I have a Samsung 970 EVO in a Precision 7510 working fine.)

9. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK, here is a weird one for you.
    I originally had the 950 pro in slot 4 for the last many years. I switched it to slot 3 to troubleshoot and ran like that for a week.

Then I put the 970 EVO Plus in slot 3 today, and nothing (not detected.)

Going to switch it to slot 4, when I removed the 970 EVO Plus from slot 3 a tiny yellow transparent pastic/mylar circle (like half the size of a hole punch out from an old paper 3-ring hole punch) fell out.

What could that have been? I haven't seen one of these before and don't see another anywhere else. It almost looks like it has faint pin prints on it like it had been in the ssd slot when I inserted the 970, but that makes no sense to me since the 950 pro was working in slot 3 for the last week.

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    ...Assuming that the 970 EVO Plus works now that there is nothing blocking the pins?
    No idea unless it was part of the packaging of the new SSD (maybe in there by mistake).