The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7510 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scrlk, Oct 23, 2015.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Did you know you can switch that around in the BIOS? Its been like this for years now :)

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, I didn't, it's been quite a while since I used a ThinkPad. But that is really nice to know. Hmmm...

3. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Uhmm, so you don't see this being consistent, from the exact same person that has identified the lack of dedicated Home/End keys as a serious design issue? Seriously?

What they should have done is use a minimal amount of common sense before taking away keyboard functionality for no good reason at all. The moron(s) who came up with the idea of taking away dedicated Home/End keys on a full-size keyboard (placed on the deck of a 17" laptop, no less) should be fired on the spot.

And, no, there is no hyperbole, there's only cold, hard truth here. When I bought my M6400, I spent close to $7k on the machine. I would do the same again, without blinking an eye. But I am not going to "cope" with major design flaws when I spend that kind of cash, period. I'll take my money elsewhere.

I also note that this happens to be just one more instance of PC OEMs giving next to no thought to functionality of their devices in professional use. Just look at the idiocy of those 16:9 screens everywhere, including even tablets! This is indeed in stark contrast to Apple, who clearly agonize about the design and functionality of every little detail around their products. One may not always agree with their choices, but at the very least they think about what they are doing, and why, rather than just foisting random crap on their customers. At the end of the day, as a consequence we can observe Apple products having made serious inroads in the high-end, professional market where they used to be almost absent. If I go to conferences these days, I see Mac laptops everywhere, when they used to be an exception. Congratulations, Dell et al.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Pavel O and ygohome like this.
  4. jcvjcvjcvjcv

jcvjcvjcvjcv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is simply no good reason for them to remove the dedicated keys except to save $0,50 The time spend to adjusting to this new layout will cost the end-user more and then after that it will still continue to cost because it's simply slower.

Overall, all of the current layouts suck bigtime compared to 2011' Thinkpads. Take my W520 for example; at the top right I have the Page Up, Page Down, End, Home all clustered together in the only right way; the exact same way they are on full-size desktop keyboards. That layout provides for the least adjustment period between desktop and laptop. Every since the 2012 everyone keeps swapping around with keys and that's simply nonsensical. If you enjoy different keyboards so much you should ask Dell to put in an AZERTY layout in your next laptop and the one after that with QWERTZ layout.

Now I know that too many users don't even use page up/down, home & end, but that's still no excuse to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator.

5. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:

correct, you make as much sense as your buddy korn with your hyperbole. Its that you are sooo very extreme in your "absolute" comments. Do you take espresso before each post? I know you don't like Fn with Home and End. We all understand.

6. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do like that you state the truth, but so intense, turn it down to a 10 at least? No need for irrational extremes, but to post what you like and don't like without saying is complete ****. some people won't take you serious. I think we need a few reviews

or maybe it is our Good Cop - Bad Cop theme to get Dell attention to listen and comply. lol

7. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am sorry if I hurt your tender feelings. And, no, I have no hope at all that anything I or others in this forum say will make one wit of a difference. Dell will just see their sales continue to fall, slowly but surely, and keep wondering why in all the world this is happening. Oh well...

8. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am going to wait for someone to get one of these and start a review thread. Nothing in this "Owner's Thread" is being written by actual owners. When a thread starts with a list of complains qualified with usuallys and probablys then ends with ygohome and pirx (two people that I greatly respect) getting into a flame war, there is nothing to learn from the thread. This is an Owner's Thread that is full of conjecture and opinions - which may be valid - but do not reflect any actual information about the new machine beyond "the keyboard is different and I like/dislike that".

Nuke the thread and start over. Mods - maybe retitle this Precision 7510 preowner's keyboard opinion thread.

bee144, Bis, ygohome and 2 others like this.
  9. ccvortex

ccvortex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For the record, I'm with Bokeh on this.

Bokeh likes this.