The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. kalm

kalm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just got my 7710 also. I intend to add a PM951 M.2 drive to it (in addition to the 1T HDD). How does one reinstall windows if there is no install media? I didn't get one in the box. Is it possible to create it from the machine?

Thanks.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If it's Windows 10, you can use the Microsoft tool to get media.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (scroll down)
    You won't need to enter a product key, Windows 10 will automatically activate using the key stored in the BIOS.

3. Olmo Barragan

Olmo Barragan Newbie

Reputations:
    I have Dell 7710 precision. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced that no mater what you do, I doesn't turn on (put an remove the battery, change the AC/DC adapter, check output, etc.,).
    I am contacting Dell Support because I have had this laptop less than four months and it is a total annoying crap at this moment.

4. muzicman82

muzicman82 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's a question that I admittedly am not up to speed on...

If I use a Thunderbolt dock, or even the monitor outputs on the 7710 OR the port replicator, how does the add-in GPU factor in? Can the outputs via TB3 or any of the monitor outputs be accelerated graphics?

I noticed that right now, I am using the DVI output and a DisplayPort output on the Advanced Port Replicator, and one of them shows up as being Intel graphics and the other is NVIDIA. How does this all work? If I use something like AutoCAD, do I have to make sure it is on the NVIDIA driven output? Or will it handle the acceleration and deliver the monitor output to the correct port? Any good write-ups on this?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Displays hooked up to the Intel GPU can still use the NVIDIA GPU for rendering. The NVIDIA GPU flushes the output to the Intel GPU framebuffer for display to the screen. This technology is called "NVIDIA Optimus" and you can search for information on that. In the NVIDIA control panel there is a "Manage 3D settings" section where you can control which app is driven by which GPU, if the default "automatic" behavior isn't to your liking.

If you would like to have the NVIDIA GPU drive everything (at the cost of higher power usage) you can turn off switchable graphics in the BIOS.

6. muzicman82

Reputations:
    That all makes sense...

So what's the story with Thunderbolt docks? Are those using the Intel or NVIDIA GPUs or does the dock have some mini GPU or chip like those USB2 or even early USB3 docks with horrible lag and such?

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The USB-C/Thunderbolt port is hooked up to the Intel GPU. The GPU can send a graphics signal over the Thunderbolt connection, its not like earlier USB adapters or docks which include a (bad) GPU in the device itself.

8. muzicman82

Reputations:
    Cool! That's great news.

9. spiresvideo

spiresvideo Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently ordered a Precision 7710 with the Polymer batt and just spent two weeks back and forth on replacement batts (all came up as MFKVP Standard Li-Ion even though packing slip said Li-Poly) to find that they admit they don't produce the Polymer batt anymore (even though as of today one can still add it to the 7710 system.) They refunded the price of the batt. You may want to call them and do the same.

10. bee144

bee144 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Lol thats highway robbery.