The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you spires. I'm shocked, really. I wonder why the Express Charge option is not available inside of the BIOS then if what we have really is the non-Polymer. Have you asked them about that? If what we have really is the "non polymer" then Express charge should be available in the BIOS. But Express Charging is not available in my BIOS, indicating I have a poly. The BIOS decides if Express Charging is enabled/disabled based on reading the Battery type. Just to be clear again, the non-poly should have express charging. The long cycle poly does not have express charging. I paid for the more expensive long cycle poly.

I'm more willing to accept that the Dell Support is ill-informed or that the "MFKVP Standard" really does describe the polymer. Because that is a major law suite waiting to happen if what you were told is true. It means they are knowingly selling different battery options which are quite different in price... but knowingly only shipping the lesser expensive one, regardless if the customer ordered the polymer or not. I'm not happy at all if that is the case.

One way we can maybe find out. Would someone here who ordered the non-poly battery please post a photo of their battery? And does your BIOS signify at all if it is Long Cycle or not, or if it has Express Charging ability? If it is the same as what is in my system then I'm going to call Dell for a credit. thanks

*I'm ordering a 2nd system for our small business in the next day. I think I'm going to order with the lesser expensive non-poly especially given this confusion. I think maybe having the express charge option of the non-poly is more an advantage than the greater longevity of the poly. And if for no other reason than to compare the two batteries side by side and see how they behave differently (compare their holding charge/recharge speeds, etc) as well as view the part numbers and BIOS differences.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ordering 7510 through work to replace my M4800 (being handed off to another employee). I'm getting the high-end "lithium polymer" battery which is still available as an option.

Because of the lack of the express charge option, I suspect that you really do have a lithium polymer battery and this is a combination of (1) the label poorly describing the product and (2) Dell support folks being generally confused about the finer details of the product (what's new?).

Anyway, I'll let you know what I actually receive. :p

alexhawker and ygohome like this.
  3. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe you are right Aaron. So I just ordered another 7710 and decided to get it with the poly option again too. I was going to experiment with getting the non-poly this time but I changed my mind at last moment to keep things as consistent as possible among the laptops.

edit:

SAVE40%WKS coupon expires in a couple of days (USA website). It is not stack-able with existing promotions or coupons but is better than the default 30% or 35%.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    alexhawker likes this.
  4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Thanks for the note, I didn't see that one, but we are also buying a pile of 5510's so this could save some $$$.

[Edit] Appears to stack with "Extra10" coupon which gives 10% off the most expensive accessory in your order.

ygohome likes this.
  5. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Makes me wish I tried more coupons bundled with the 40% one. But I think I got a good deal. Yeah the more you buy the better these coupons pay off, considering it is percentage based coupon. I didn't buy any accessories, but I do get about $540 US dollars towards my Advantage Rewards to buy a thunderbolt dock or something. I need to see what goodies Dell Accessories has in stock

6. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Used the "Extra10" to get some off a Dell Thunderbolt dock for the 5510. (It would only apply to one accessory.) There's also a five system limit for the "SAVE40%WKS" coupon. I know because I put in an order for six of them yesterday. Ended up going through a rep but he matched the price of the 40% off coupon.

Now to just wait for the goodies to arrive...

7. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got two TB15 with 240W adapter for around $240 plus tax each through small business. Not sure if that is good or not, but figured I would post. Separate order from any system order.

8. Dionis778

Dionis778 Newbie

Reputations:
    Got Precision 7710 with a 256Gb HD. Bad decision. Thinking that I can add at least another HD (256 or 512), asked our Dell representative to tell me which HD to order and the reply was "you can’t additional Hard Drive to this system". Is this really true? Can I not keep the original 256GB bootup hard drive and have another inside?

Thanks.

9. Dionis778

Dionis778 Newbie

Reputations:
    7710 came with AMD W7170M but there is no software for managing the card settings. Is there a place to download it?

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    There is room for only one standard 2.5" drive. You can also install two M.2 PCIe SSD drives.