The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Precision 7710 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by muzicman82, Mar 30, 2016.

1. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Working in stot 3 now that the mysterious orange mylar tiny circle is gone.

A couple questions still, but I think this is working.

1.) Edit: #1 solved. #2 appears to be an issue though, possibly.
    Answer to #1: Samsung Magician software requires a connection to the internet apparently or else it shows Drive Health: N/A for a newly installed drive and doesn't show the GB/TB written to the SSD. Don't know why an internet connection would be required for this, but it is.
    I installed windows clean, ran magician, did a full scan of ssd (returned all ok), and then magician said Drive Health 127 GB written. I restored my previous c drive image with windows system image restore. Had to boot restored system into safe mode, and then it booted fine the second time. The 950 pro was running the latest samsung NVME driver. However now booted into my original windows installation running on the 970, Magician shows Drive Health N/A. (and no list of how many GB written). Uninstalled the Samsung Magician and the Samsung NVME driver, rebooted, reinstalled Magician, same. Reinstalled Samsung NVME driver, rebooted, and still Magician says Drive Health N/A now for the 970 EVO Plus and no record of GB written.

2.) When I ran t he samsung "benchmark all", the temp climbed to 55C and magician said "Too Hot". Now after a few minutes it's at 45C. Ambient temperature in the room is 77F (25C). Bitlocker Encrypting the drive brought the temp up to 62C. Not sure if that 970 EVO Plus temp is something to be concerned about..

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  2. summersun

summersun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmmm...
    Ran Windows Defender full scan to test new SSD, and windows shut down after about 10 minutes and 75%.

First time that ever happened on this Precision 7710.

In Event Viewer it says "The system was shut down due to a critical thermal event. ... ACPI Thermal Zone = Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework _CRT=373k"

No thermal event logged in bios.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  3. jakubd

jakubd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. kaxovskiy

kaxovskiy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, comrades. I recently got myself a 7710 with m5000m and win10 pro. I tried to flash the new vbios (84.04.6D.00.08, 2015 from techpowerup) on it to unlock the clocks and play around with OC a bit. However, the clocks limits are the same after successful flashing, and the laptop screen goes blank (backlight off) in a few minutes after OC bootup. That's in a switchable graphics off mode. In an ON mode it works but nvflash list command give the following error,
    "the pci bar assignment for the processed device is invalid"
    and nvidia control panel won't open with
    "you're not currently using a display attached to nvidia gpu"
    Also in nvflash protecton, off and ecid and other commands don't do anything. Flash command works so I can flash another vbios.
    I guess it's intel that does the working actually. Still, I can crank up the clocks to 135mhz in evga, with gpu-z showing the change in clocks.
    I then tried the 2nd vbios 84.04.9B.00.16, 2016 with the same results.
    Any ideas what's going on? Could it be the nvidia drivers? I'm using the latest drivers 30.0.14.7250 from oct 27. Should I go to an older drivers to unlock the OC limits? Thanks

5. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Back in august I tried to update the 7710 to the latest driver on Nvidia site. I had an issue with the Nvidia Driver and wound up reverting to 452.41. I had to boot into safemode to go back.

Issue was black screen after boot into OS.

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would suggest just using the stock vBIOS. vBIOS have increasingly become more tuned to be system-specific, so you might have strange behaviors when using the wrong one. I had a M5000M in my Precision M6700 for a long time. The M5000M has a hard power limit of 100W, and my experience with it was that is pretty much always what was limiting the performance. (Overclocking won't do any good if you are hitting the power limit when under an actual full load at the stock clock configuration. You can't override the power limit with a vBIOS flash.)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  7. kaxovskiy

Reputations:
    I've also tried your vbios that you had shared here with someone. I believe it's filename was M5000M-84.04.6D.00.08.zip
    Was it not a mod? And those other mods from techpowerup? What's their point?
    Mirage says here that his m5000m runs stable at 1185 oced on 8770w. How did he make it happen?
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/8770w-compatible-video-cards.795753/page-8#post-10877001
    Also many people request help from modder named klem on techinferno with their m5000m and apparently he does something with their stocks bioses to optimize it somehow.

8. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    In my case I tried a few different vBIOS to find the one that seemed to behave the most nicely with my system (using an "unsupported" GPU).
    If you really want to OC then the best thing would be to have the stock vBIOS modded rather than trying one from a different system. TechInferno is a good resource for this. (I had someone there mod my K5000M vBIOS before.)

9. kaxovskiy

Reputations:
    But the stock system should be the same on all 7710s with m5000m cards aren't they? Do you pick 2 laptops from the same shelf and get different vbioses installed on them? Why would dell do that?
    Also, you last point contradicts the previous one, as I also got my k5000m vbios from you ( thx, btw), a different system, and it has worked nicely on my m6700 since then. I was able to increase the game FT by about 50% with oc. Also, how much did you pay for your k5000m mod and what's price now, if you know by any chance?

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    K5000M does not come close to hitting the 100W power limit at stock clocks so there is ample room for overclocking. However it is quite easy to hit the power limit on the M5000M (or at least that was the case for me) so I never bothered with overclocking.

You are right, all 7710 M5000M's have the same vBIOS (AFAIK). However M5000M was used in other systems as well so it doesn't necessarily follow that all vBIOS images on TechPowerUp work (perfectly) with the 7710. If your modded vBIOS version number is different than your stock vBIOS version number then you are (most likely) using a vBIOS intended for a different system. If they do match, then I misunderstood and it "seems" like you should be fine...

I didn't pay anything for the mod that someone did for me at TechInferno. There was a thread about Kepler vBIOS mod's and I just threw my request in there and someone did it. (Now, they didn't end up doing quite what I wanted so I didn't end up using it.) I'll see if I can find the post...
    Here it is.
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...ead-svl7/&page=13&tab=comments#comment-130417

ctorange likes this.